Used 2002 Subaru Impreza TS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I will never buy another Subaru
By DeeDido

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 75,000 miles on it the head gasket had to be replaced. At 85,000 the power steering gear box. There is no trunk light. There is no lumbar support in the seats. My back is killing me. The visors did not have enough range to block the sun. It rattled constantly. The ride was extremely bumpy all the time. The engine noise was very loud. The stereo was terrible. Cruise control was not even an option. Stupid cup holder mounted on the dash board above the stereo.

Favorite Features

The air conditioning.

Suggested Improvements

Buy something else.

Awesome Little Wagon
By BostonLegal

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car because I wanted AWD and a decent amount of carrying capacity while still being small enough to parallel park easily. The TS wagon fit the bill perfectly. As a CA native unaccustomed to the unique demands of winter driving in upstate NY, my Subaru has done a fantastic job of hugging the iciest roads. Curiously, my friends' SUVs often get irretrievably snowed into their parking spots, but my wagon can always get past the snowiest mounds. Reliability is excellent even on long roadtrips - I've driven her from NY to CA and back to MA. I have had no expenses beyond regular maintenance in my 7 years of ownership. After this car, I am absolutely sold on Subarus.

Favorite Features

Fantastic handling - especially in adverse weather. Great carrying capacity and seat adjustability for maximum carrying space. Attractive exterior design and extremely stain-resistant upholstery.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is not wonderful (comes with the AWD though). Paint has begun chipping a bit after 7 years (5 in harsh northeast winters). Wish the hatchback opening was a little wider to allow larger objects.

suits MY style of driving
By Dean Homan

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I own 2 Subarus. My #1 concern was RELIABILITY. I have 139,645 miles on this vehicle and not once has it left me stranded. I umpire college softball so it is important that I be there ON TIME. My Subaru operates the way I do, aggressive, no let up, always there on time. I love to drive this car ... especially during inclement weather. I have kept track of EVERY penny associated with the ownership of this vehicle. We are currently operating at just under 26 cents per mile.

Favorite Features

Driving experience ... fun to drive, good weather (corners GREAT, good gitty up) and especially bad.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are not the most comfortable. I have had some problems with the O2 sensors. Fuel mileage is 25.1 mpg (year round), 30 mpg on trips.

Great Wagon!
By jsrwcase

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this wagon for over a year with no issues, other then thin metal and easily scatched paint. The 2.5L engine is great in the city and is very smooth on the highway. Not as fast as a WRX, but for the $ I would say you cannot find a better deal!

Favorite Features

AWD Handling! 2.5L Torque. Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Could use some more power.

This 2002 Subaru was a LEMON
By Golem

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Problems from the start. Poor paint quality (orange peel and easily scratches), inadequate electrical system which couldn't keep battery charged if a few electrical loads were on, consistently hesitated at 2,000 RPM. Dealership was fantastic but Subaru head office resisted doing anything. In the end, received a refund. Now driving a 2003 model which drives well but paint is still poor quality, Windshield wiper blades freeze, inadequate heating system, poor design of rear window washer spray head, steering wheel not aligned parallel when driving straight.

Favorite Features

The all wheel drive seems to enable the car to hold the road better than front wheel drive. I like the wagon aspect.

Suggested Improvements

Better: windshield wipers; heating system (especially for rear of sportwagon); tires; paint and painting. Every aspect of Subaru's customer service in Canada is very poor before and after purchase and needs serious improvement.