2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
3rd Subaru - Wagon>Truck
By eddiethedog on 12/29/13 18:09 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Subaru. Previous was an 04 Sti and 98 2.5 rs. This car is very reliable even at 200K plus miles. I have replaced the 02 sensor once. The slide pins for the front calipers stuck, so those got replaced. Both pretty common. The valve in the AC had to be replaced, a bit of a pain to get to, but not a huge issue ($30 part). The interior is that of any Subaru. If you are coming from a luxury vehicle, you might not like it. Always seems to be cheaply made, but I've never had any issues. Would recommend to anyone needing an overall reliable car. Any Subaru really.

Super WRX wagon
By stocksj on 06/07/12 05:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Blue WRX wagon because I liked the way it performed in the WRC rallys. The car was my favorite and was a stout performer. I'd still have it if it wasn't for the super stiff clutch wearing my left knee out. Replaced it with a 2005 RS wagon

Reliable
By sbohan on 03/15/11 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my wrx in July of 2004 while I was attending community college in Pennsylvania. I chose the wrx because of the power and the awd. I chose the wagon because it cut my insurance in half (I was a 19 year old male buying a turbo charged car). I have driven the car as a daily driver ever since. I later attended Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana which lead to some 500 mile trips back and forth to Pennsylvaina. I now have close to 140,000 miles on the car. Aside from tires and brakes, I have replaced the clutch at 900$ including labor and almost all of the ac components at 1400$ including labor. 7 years and 140,000 miles with ony 2300$ in repairs is pretty good in my book.

A great car
By Wheeldog on 01/08/09 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

As of this writing I have about 146000 miles on my WRX wagon. It has been a terrific car. It was at the time I bought it the best combination of performance, utility, and value, and it still holds up well. I would definitely buy this vehicle again.

Great car
By Travis on 07/06/08 18:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

First thing that I noticed when i bought my used WRX was how great of shape the interior was. It was not worn out at all, besides the drivers seat. Mileage does not seem to effect Subarus much. It runs perfect.

WRX = high performance for cheap
By subafan on 05/12/08 15:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my '02 WRX wagon exactly 2 years ago with 60,000 miles on it, just out of warranty. I now have 102,000 miles on it and have only replaced the brakes and done regular maintenance, mobile 1 synthetic only. While it may need more maintenance than I've given it, it still has given me no problems whatsoever. This car is super fast for a wagon. Nobody expects to see a subaru wagon to pull off the line as quick as the WRX wagon. I can get to 60mph, with a passenger, in 6 seconds which is impressive for a 2.0L 4cyl. Also, the AWD performs better in 6in or less snow than my Jeep Cherokee.

Transmission Problems
By bigsuda on 03/07/07 11:04 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car about six months ago with 47k miles on it. Pretty low for an '02. I was having problems with getting it into first gear and reverse so I took it in to the local dealership. They told me that there was a problem (I expected it to be the clutch), and was told that there is a problem with the synchronizers in the transmission! Seems a little low mileage, well maybe a lot low, to be having problems with a transmission. I haven't added any aftermarket parts and take care of all my cars! Might be a lemon, but seems to be a ridiculous deal. $1500+ bill just to get started. Oh, and the warranty just expired 4 months ago due to an '01 delivery date. Wonderful!

Love it!
By Ion on 08/29/06 15:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This has been my daily driver since new. I change the oil with Mobil 1 and the car behaves like new, even with 54,000 miles. I still have the same brakes and just changed the tires. I drive 55 miles/day and many of those miles are on twisty roads with tight corners (Sunset Blvd. in L.A.). The car corners and accelerates beautifully. I highly recommend it as an economical (average 25.5 mpg) fun car to drive.

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon
By Peter Frohman on 07/25/05 18:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lots of fun, great handling, wonderful braking, plenty of power, wagon versatility, aggressive looks. A classic pocket rocket. Crummy gas mileage, premium gas, occasional turbo lag. Shift not as sweet as Honda/Acura, but AWD beats front-wheel drive every time. Great car for the price, but as soon as Honda makes something similar, I'm buying that.

What an Upgrade
By Les on 05/25/05 10:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

i just bought a used 2002 WRX wagon. WHAT A RIDE! got a sweet deal on it. At first I was considering the Mazda3 but I was big on performance. What an upgrade compared to my slow 1994 Honda accord. My commute is so much fun now! Driving in the rain is not a problem with the AWD...so far so good. Filling my tank up with premium gas will hit the wallet hard, but the good outweighs the bad.