Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great till high mileage!
By climbrox

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive. The 2.5L is just enough to make it peppy and fun. Good in most conditions, not great in any. Problems start at 140,000 and continue there on in. My advice would be to buy if mileage is low and get rid of if near 140,000.

Favorite Features

Plenty of pep. Sporty. Fun to drive. Can hold quite a bit with the back seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

It's a little too low. The front bumper just pushes in the snow. It needs a bit more clearance.

Solid car, with quirks
By Goatmount

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 150,000 miles on car with no major problems. Changed timing belt at 90,000, as all Subarus are required, which is about a $400 job. The engine is solid and will probably run to 200,000 with very few issues. Great in snow and cold. One of the most fun small cars to drive out there. There are some quirks to the 2002 model. The driver side seat belt squeaks every time you move even an inch. I have talked with other 2002 impreza owners and this appears to be a common problem. Replacing fog lights is $200 per light! The wheels get thrown out of alignment after driving through deep snow. As with all AWD cars, all the tires have to be replaced at the same time. Auto windows both broke.

Favorite Features

The AWD is essential in the north country. Fun to drive. Surprisingly roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Interior parts seem cheaply made. Cup holder broke, CD player broke, seat belt squeaks, auto windows broke on both doors.

Good car that won't last
By greenmeansgo

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my outback sport for almost 7 years. I bought it brand new. Initially, I though I couldn't get more car for the money. Power everything, cruise control and the AWD Subaru is famous for. All those things I loved and made the car fun to drive. What I didn't like was the engine noise I started hearing about 2 years into ownership. It wasn't strong our pronounced right off the bat, but grew that way over the years. I was under the assumption that changing my oil religiously would preserve my engine. Even that didn't keep it from the engine problems that are common for this model year. I'd be more specific, but I only have 500 characters. I will never buy another Subaru again.

Favorite Features

Easy to install DIN stereo enclosure. AWD. Unique body styling. Responsive manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Engine quality....which is key to my ownership experience. If I am maintaining my engine properly and it still develops problems of the magnitude that it had, it ruins the reputation of that car brand in my mind. No wonder CR black dotted the engine.

Safe. Utility. Bold. AWD. Reliable. Ubuy
By Blur125

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subarus are awesome vehicles. And while this is the entry level vehicle, it's got the heart and soul of a Subaru! This has a rally inspired boxer 2.5l engine that gets 22-26 mpg (actual, depending on how nice you are to 'er). That's with AWD!! You can't beat having AWD if you like to shred mountains, ride trails, surf breaks, or relax while camping. While this particular model doesn't have a nice trim package nor nice interior, it has the basics you'd need while driving. And a manual is the way to go if you drive highway a lot. Wagons are a bonus for more storage space. I used it to travel back and forth between college with my entire room loaded in it. Nice fold down seats.

Favorite Features

1) fun to drive. 2) power when needed. 3) great handling. 4) decent gas mileage. 5) low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth, MP3/aux, cloth interior, but seats hold you in your seat well!

My Review
By omar777

2002 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car. Bought it used and so far have not had any major problems with it. Parts and labor are a little expensive. Not too much visibility from the driver's seat when backing up. Seats not very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Good a/c, design, reliability, handling, awd.

Suggested Improvements

Seats more comfortable, better rear view from driver's seat, fuel economy, softer shock absorbers.