2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Will buy another one!!!
By Will buy another one on 10/01/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car in Michigan in all conditions and it won't quit. Had it packed to the ceiling with camping stuff, band equipment etc, it all fits! What a great car in the winter. I previously owned a Wrangler, and believe it or not, the Subaru is miles ahead in the winter. The only time I got stuck was when the plow covered it with 5 feet of snow. Mechanical problems: Replaced all brakes, a couple headlight bulbs, and wheel bearings in rear. This was a pain only because the shop did not know what the car was... do we order impreza or outback parts? I couldn't answer this for them. I believe the impreza parts worked, but not 100% on that. Overall great car, just wish I had a turbo!

OK car, not great but good
By JTP on 06/20/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

Impreza 2.5RS
By JW on 05/05/08 19:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

6 years, 82k miles and not a dime in it other than gas, oil and tires. Still gets over 30 mpg freeway, around town is a little low due to the AWD, upper teens/low 20's depending on how you drive. Getting 25 on the average tank. Reliable, punchy, AWD is amazing on the snow.

Just a 2.5RS... nothing special
By Just a girl w/2.5RS on 05/04/07 14:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I really do LOVE my car. It's fun to drive, it got me through my first real winter (snow, ice, slush) in a new place, and it's never had any problems due to regular wear and tear (regular maint. is done). Though not a WRX, acceleration is just fine for highway driving. I used to take my car through a very deserted canyon road with tight turns on the weekends and it begged for more.

A great car for the price
By Subidrifter77 on 03/04/07 15:59 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in later 2006. I have greatly enjoyed the experience. It corners good for a stock car. The AWD is awesome in the snow and I have loved drifting it! Dislikes: no light in the trunk, not a lot of room but good for the price. Likes: AWD is awesome, automatic shifts good on hills and in passing, the exhaust sounds great (not stock), comfortable on long drives, corners fairly well but needs larger sway bars, fantastic in the snow. It has only slid when I am laying into it. Great car so I can't complain much. Needs some performance stuff for more power so I am going to invest soon!

Never Buying Subaru AGAIN
By Brian on 03/18/06 19:11 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

For the first three years car was great. Then at 60,000 miles the head gasket went. For the next 9 months in and out the shop for over heating problems. Then Subaru gave me a new engine block. Now at 90,000 miles transmission problems; needs 1st 2nd third and reverse gears replaced. $2300. In a manual. I never driven it hard -- I wanted it to last, but as you can see it's a piece of junk. I bought the car brand for their reputation. Once I get the car back I am selling it and buying a Toyota, Nissan or Mazda.

The not- so-great car
By Lilmizme87 on 06/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used, maybe that was the first mistake. The second week I had it, something was wrong with the transimission. Two months later something was wrong with the engine. A month later, the same problem came back because the dealership didn't fix it the first time. Now, the transmission needs to be fix, again. I take very good care of this car, yet it falls apart easily. I don't race it (cause I'd lose) and I don't floor it every time I drive. It should not be falling apart so much. I would not recommend this car considering you'll be looking for alternative transportation since it'll be in the shop every other week.

Excellent Car
By JWR77 on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I do a lot of travelling with this car and currently have 90,000 miles on it. The car is fun to drive and up till now has been problem free. Also great in the snow.

fun car to drive
By Kai on 05/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

very fun even my car is automative, easy car to drive, good handeling except raining day.

Saved my life
By Pace on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I had a '96 Subaru. I had an accident with a tree and the car was completely totalled. All I got out of the accident was a small mark on my neck from the seatbelt. I hit the tree (2ft diameter jackpine) going speeds exceding 65 mph. The build of these cars are incredible.