Used 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Best Car I've had
By magwajo

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 WRX brand new and, at 126K, it's still going strong until recently. I had to get the radiator replaced ($600) and new brakes a few months ago, but I figured I was coming due with something. Hopefully, nothing in the near future. Fun to drive car. I had blacker leather and heated seats put in as I hated the tight weave they had so it was impossible to get the dog hair out! Car handles great in the snow. A great practical car.

AWD, short shift and handling. Practical hatchback but not too big.

better seats, drink holders (I know, seems silly), and plugs.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

AWD, turbocharge, OEM turbo boost,MOMO steering wheel, and everything alse..... :)

bigger turbo, better intercooler, better brake system

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Foot to the floor = all the power you need. Easy on the gas = 26-28 MPG.

The squeaky seatbelt was enough to get me to replace the seats entirely, and the cheap plastic brackets that hold the bumper on should be burned.

Great car!
By James

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car in 2003 with 20,000 miles already on it. I beat this car HARD all the way through college and it's still kicking. I've done all my own maintenance... it's never been to the dealer. I've had to replace the brakes (pads & rotors) at 68k, accessory belts at 70k, and a set of tires at 60k. I redline the car every time I drive it...it's fun, reliable, and great in the snow!

AWD in the snow, peppy engine, handles like a go-cart, rock solid reliability!

New models received a much needed interior upgrade, paint needs help... that's all!

fun with headaches
By subypd

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

Great traction, wonderful exhaust note with aftermarket pipes. Fun in the snow!

Thicker clear coat on the paint. Road chips have torn apart my hood and fenders. Tires have always been too narrow on Subaru's but I'm guessing it's to better work with the awd. And why do I have to use premium fuel? They should have designed it to run on regular.