2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Best Car I've had
By magwajo on 08/26/10 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 WRX brand new and, at 126K, it's still going strong until recently. I had to get the radiator replaced ($600) and new brakes a few months ago, but I figured I was coming due with something. Hopefully, nothing in the near future. Fun to drive car. I had blacker leather and heated seats put in as I hated the tight weave they had so it was impossible to get the dog hair out! Car handles great in the snow. A great practical car.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran on 02/11/10 14:02 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye on 10/14/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Great car!
By James on 08/01/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car in 2003 with 20,000 miles already on it. I beat this car HARD all the way through college and it's still kicking. I've done all my own maintenance... it's never been to the dealer. I've had to replace the brakes (pads & rotors) at 68k, accessory belts at 70k, and a set of tires at 60k. I redline the car every time I drive it...it's fun, reliable, and great in the snow!

fun with headaches
By subypd on 03/13/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

8 Years... I still love this car!
By MOMO1 on 03/06/09 11:58 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and aside from a CPU problem (covered by factory warranty) I've had no problems. With 92,000 I've replaced the brakes just once on the front and back. It is a driver's car and is all about performance and drivability. Definitely the most bang for the buck possibly of any car made to date.

Greatest car ever built
By solly on 02/21/09 21:39 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned over 25 cars, American muscle through Porsches to Ferraris. I am a car nut. I have used this '02 WRX daily since purchase, (that's about 7 years now), and will never give it up until it is just no longer feasible to repair. The WRX has been so reliable and trouble free that I am amazed it was only $22K back in '02. It is almost as quick as any non-turbo Porsche (I had the dealer upgrades installed, bigger turbo and cooler, exhaust and short shift kit all for $6K), seats 4, has a huge trunk with fold down arm rest for my skis. Holds the road amazingly well and acceleration is brutal. Seats are the best I ever had. Great road feel. Goes through snow like butter.

A Lot Of Car For The Money!
By broman on 06/10/08 22:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Recently purchased my WRX from a friend who owned it since 25K. Car now has 91K. Previous owner only did regular service with no other issues. This is the type of vehicle that you have to know what you are buying. It doesn't do anything spectacular but does do everything well. Power is adequate, interior is decent, looks are unique, MPG is good for a performance-based car, parts/service is reasonable, and resale is pretty good if you purchase used. I bought this car mainly for MPG as my other vehicle is an F150. And for $7000 I do not think I could get more car for the money. The car had already been upgraded to 17" wheels so it looks even better. Otherwise the car is completely stock.

2002 WRX
By aaron on 05/09/07 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Pre-purchased WRX in April 01 site unseen, before they were first imported. Extremely happy with the car, fuel efficiency, power, and build quality. Over the last year, it has developed a couple of small rattles and the driver's window regulator needs replacing (has nearly 100k miles). Value is still over $10k 6 years later. Very satisfied with the car, the brand, and the type of vehicle.

Great Car!
By fast4 on 11/27/06 12:38 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car used with 18K miles on it. The only mechanical fault that I ever experienced was a "Clutch Shudder" problem that was fixed under warranty at 20K miles. The ride is solid, responsive and communicative.