2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
very good car for the money
By awduser on 10/27/13 19:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son bought it used with 170,000 km in 2007 and I got it from him with about 210,000 km. This month it turned 300,000 km. Engine and transmission all original but have small oil leak, probably from valve cover gasket. Had trouble with A/C compressor - replaced this summer (after 11 years of service). Had to overhaul front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, again after 11 years. Shock absorbers started leaking last year - I think 10 years is as good as it gets for driving through Canadian winters. And so apart from some rust (se reference to Canadian winters above), the vehicle looks and driving qualities are the same when we got it, and I even suspect it drives like new.

Best Car I've had
By magwajo on 08/26/10 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 WRX brand new and, at 126K, it's still going strong until recently. I had to get the radiator replaced ($600) and new brakes a few months ago, but I figured I was coming due with something. Hopefully, nothing in the near future. Fun to drive car. I had blacker leather and heated seats put in as I hated the tight weave they had so it was impossible to get the dog hair out! Car handles great in the snow. A great practical car.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran on 02/11/10 14:02 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye on 10/14/09 13:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Will buy another one!!!
By Will buy another one on 10/01/09 09:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car in Michigan in all conditions and it won't quit. Had it packed to the ceiling with camping stuff, band equipment etc, it all fits! What a great car in the winter. I previously owned a Wrangler, and believe it or not, the Subaru is miles ahead in the winter. The only time I got stuck was when the plow covered it with 5 feet of snow. Mechanical problems: Replaced all brakes, a couple headlight bulbs, and wheel bearings in rear. This was a pain only because the shop did not know what the car was... do we order impreza or outback parts? I couldn't answer this for them. I believe the impreza parts worked, but not 100% on that. Overall great car, just wish I had a turbo!

Great car!
By James on 08/01/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car in 2003 with 20,000 miles already on it. I beat this car HARD all the way through college and it's still kicking. I've done all my own maintenance... it's never been to the dealer. I've had to replace the brakes (pads & rotors) at 68k, accessory belts at 70k, and a set of tires at 60k. I redline the car every time I drive it...it's fun, reliable, and great in the snow!

OK car, not great but good
By JTP on 06/20/09 14:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I typically put around 225,000 on my cars before I let them go. Some limp in (escort), make it like champs (prelude), this one is somewhere in between. Not many problems, but the ones I had were odd. Catalytic converter at 50 K mi, head gasket at 150 K, oil pump shortly thereafter. Windshield keeps breaking, seemingly by itself. Fog lamps are expensive and break a lot. I gave up and drive with them broken. I like this car and would consider another one because it is a kick to drive. But our legacy outback is a much, much better car. Edmunds says it gets 21, but I typically get 26, a little less with city alone. 28 if I am gentle.

fun with headaches
By subypd on 03/13/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ordered my WRX from the dealership in 2000 when I first read it would be imported to the states. I have loved driving it for the last eight years, this coming form a former mustang owner. Wasn't quite as fast in a straight line but did everything else well. After owning this car I will NEVER buy a new model in the first year. The windows squeak, paint is too thin, had the defective fuel rail system replaced (twice) and the engine blew at 119K. Still have no idea why. Salvage long block set me back $5500 installed. Now the A/C compressor is about to go. Most of the bugs were worked out by the middle of 2003. Would buy it again, just not in the first build year.

8 Years... I still love this car!
By MOMO1 on 03/06/09 11:58 AM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car brand new 8 years ago and aside from a CPU problem (covered by factory warranty) I've had no problems. With 92,000 I've replaced the brakes just once on the front and back. It is a driver's car and is all about performance and drivability. Definitely the most bang for the buck possibly of any car made to date.

Greatest car ever built
By solly on 02/21/09 21:39 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned over 25 cars, American muscle through Porsches to Ferraris. I am a car nut. I have used this '02 WRX daily since purchase, (that's about 7 years now), and will never give it up until it is just no longer feasible to repair. The WRX has been so reliable and trouble free that I am amazed it was only $22K back in '02. It is almost as quick as any non-turbo Porsche (I had the dealer upgrades installed, bigger turbo and cooler, exhaust and short shift kit all for $6K), seats 4, has a huge trunk with fold down arm rest for my skis. Holds the road amazingly well and acceleration is brutal. Seats are the best I ever had. Great road feel. Goes through snow like butter.