Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

very good car for the money
By awduser

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son bought it used with 170,000 km in 2007 and I got it from him with about 210,000 km. This month it turned 300,000 km. Engine and transmission all original but have small oil leak, probably from valve cover gasket. Had trouble with A/C compressor - replaced this summer (after 11 years of service). Had to overhaul front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, again after 11 years. Shock absorbers started leaking last year - I think 10 years is as good as it gets for driving through Canadian winters. And so apart from some rust (se reference to Canadian winters above), the vehicle looks and driving qualities are the same when we got it, and I even suspect it drives like new.

Favorite Features

Road stability, acceleration, comfortable front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Until I got new tires which i selected for comfort, I thought the car was overly noisy during highway driving. However, it's very quiet now. Rust over rear wheel wells seems to be a problem but I am not sure what improvements Subaru can make to counter salt and water on the roads.

Best Car I've had
By magwajo

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 WRX brand new and, at 126K, it's still going strong until recently. I had to get the radiator replaced ($600) and new brakes a few months ago, but I figured I was coming due with something. Hopefully, nothing in the near future. Fun to drive car. I had blacker leather and heated seats put in as I hated the tight weave they had so it was impossible to get the dog hair out! Car handles great in the snow. A great practical car.

Favorite Features

AWD, short shift and handling. Practical hatchback but not too big.

Suggested Improvements

better seats, drink holders (I know, seems silly), and plugs.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

Favorite Features

AWD, turbocharge, OEM turbo boost,MOMO steering wheel, and everything alse..... :)

Suggested Improvements

bigger turbo, better intercooler, better brake system

This car just doesn't quit
By Aspen White Bugeye

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought my 2002 WRX from a college kid with 81k miles on it about 6 months ago. Car was quick, fun and clean as a whistle. I've seen these cars take more abuse than anything I would ever do to it and keep running. Put about a grand into the car and it out- performs its STI counterpart no problem. Keep up on regular checks and maintain your ride, can't beat the sound and feel of this car for ten grand. Get a quiet exhaust, up-pipe, downpipe and your mileage goes from 24-25 mpg to about 27.

Favorite Features

Foot to the floor = all the power you need. Easy on the gas = 26-28 MPG.

Suggested Improvements

The squeaky seatbelt was enough to get me to replace the seats entirely, and the cheap plastic brackets that hold the bumper on should be burned.

Will buy another one!!!
By Will buy another one

2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car in Michigan in all conditions and it won't quit. Had it packed to the ceiling with camping stuff, band equipment etc, it all fits! What a great car in the winter. I previously owned a Wrangler, and believe it or not, the Subaru is miles ahead in the winter. The only time I got stuck was when the plow covered it with 5 feet of snow. Mechanical problems: Replaced all brakes, a couple headlight bulbs, and wheel bearings in rear. This was a pain only because the shop did not know what the car was... do we order impreza or outback parts? I couldn't answer this for them. I believe the impreza parts worked, but not 100% on that. Overall great car, just wish I had a turbo!

Favorite Features

Winter handling, fog lights are nice, visibility, storage space, and mostly driving past stuck cars and trucks in the winter.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort. I just cant seem to get comfortable on long trips. Squeaky seatbelt. Cup holder placement. That's about it.