2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Great till high mileage!
By climbrox on 03/07/10 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive. The 2.5L is just enough to make it peppy and fun. Good in most conditions, not great in any. Problems start at 140,000 and continue there on in. My advice would be to buy if mileage is low and get rid of if near 140,000.

Solid car, with quirks
By Goatmount on 09/06/09 12:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have put 150,000 miles on car with no major problems. Changed timing belt at 90,000, as all Subarus are required, which is about a $400 job. The engine is solid and will probably run to 200,000 with very few issues. Great in snow and cold. One of the most fun small cars to drive out there. There are some quirks to the 2002 model. The driver side seat belt squeaks every time you move even an inch. I have talked with other 2002 impreza owners and this appears to be a common problem. Replacing fog lights is $200 per light! The wheels get thrown out of alignment after driving through deep snow. As with all AWD cars, all the tires have to be replaced at the same time. Auto windows both broke.

Good car that won't last
By greenmeansgo on 04/25/09 06:07 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my outback sport for almost 7 years. I bought it brand new. Initially, I though I couldn't get more car for the money. Power everything, cruise control and the AWD Subaru is famous for. All those things I loved and made the car fun to drive. What I didn't like was the engine noise I started hearing about 2 years into ownership. It wasn't strong our pronounced right off the bat, but grew that way over the years. I was under the assumption that changing my oil religiously would preserve my engine. Even that didn't keep it from the engine problems that are common for this model year. I'd be more specific, but I only have 500 characters. I will never buy another Subaru again.

Safe. Utility. Bold. AWD. Reliable. Ubuy
By Blur125 on 07/30/08 21:34 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Subarus are awesome vehicles. And while this is the entry level vehicle, it's got the heart and soul of a Subaru! This has a rally inspired boxer 2.5l engine that gets 22-26 mpg (actual, depending on how nice you are to 'er). That's with AWD!! You can't beat having AWD if you like to shred mountains, ride trails, surf breaks, or relax while camping. While this particular model doesn't have a nice trim package nor nice interior, it has the basics you'd need while driving. And a manual is the way to go if you drive highway a lot. Wagons are a bonus for more storage space. I used it to travel back and forth between college with my entire room loaded in it. Nice fold down seats.

My Review
By omar777 on 08/21/06 07:14 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall a good car. Bought it used and so far have not had any major problems with it. Parts and labor are a little expensive. Not too much visibility from the driver's seat when backing up. Seats not very comfortable.

First of many
By 128OBS on 07/25/06 10:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

What initially interested me in Subaru was the reputation for handling and safety. My first test drive sold me and now I don’t want to drive anything else. The flat 4 engine and the all wheel drive make it a unique vehicle. I especially appreciate how it handles in the rain. I have not experienced any problems. All I have done is regular maintenance. I plan to keep this car. I may buy a second Subaru, but I’m keeping this one.

Nice, functional little car
By xraymike11 on 04/16/06 08:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car new, and we've been satisfied with the purchase. We perform routine maintenance, and the car has been quite reliable. After two spinout accidents on black ice, the car still feels extremely solid. I would recommend upgrading to winter tires. The manual transmissions takes some getting used to, but is a pleasure to drive once you master it. The engine isn't necessarily quick, but is adequate for normal driving. Inside, the front seats are comfortable and have great lateral support. Controls are logical and easy to reach. Back seats have enough room to fit adults. We average 26 mpg in normal driving. Maintains great resale value.

I love this car
By nmp on 08/07/05 23:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I’ve had my Suby for nearly three years now, and I love it more and more all the time. It’s been awesome for me -- a small, sporty woman. It’s a perfect size -- not too big, but large enough to handle multiple pairs of skis, snowboards, mountain bikes, and friends. I’ve had a couple problems -- front brakes had issues after 18k, but the dealership replaced the rotors under warranty free of charge. Clock also quit -- also replaced under warranty.

The best compact sport sedan ever?
By Jeff Dulude on 04/27/05 13:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The only problem I have had with this car was the check engine light came on once. Upon contacting the dealer, they were aware of the problem and remedied it overnight and provided a loaner car. I have done the rear brakes at 66,000 miles and have done regular service and oil changes. The car is fun to drive and has power to spare. The stock tires are sufficient in the snow but I feel a snow tire would perform better. I love this car.

lemon
By rmo on 04/26/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Redid the motor (cylinder slap), rear suspension, along with O2 sensor and to top it off the radio craps out. Wheel wells easily pack with snow and the tires go out of balance with a little dust.