2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
2 head gaskets at 20k
By dsomeda on 04/23/14 10:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

At 2 yrs old developed small oil drops leaks 20k miles. At 3yrs started to drip coolant on driveway and oil drops. Dealer would not cover this fix because Subaru claimed only the Forester has bad gaskets but they asked me for my VIN any way. They gave me a bottle of head gasket sealer for 2$ and told me they were going to charge me $3500 for new gasket replacement. The very fact that the dealer even stocked(sealant) and basically gave it to me indicated that they have a widespread problem. It did not work. Used Bars Stop Leak instead. 2014 75k add coolant twice a week and code (Knock) triggered prob due to worn bearings from water in oil.

3rd Subaru - Wagon>Truck
By eddiethedog on 12/29/13 18:09 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Subaru. Previous was an 04 Sti and 98 2.5 rs. This car is very reliable even at 200K plus miles. I have replaced the 02 sensor once. The slide pins for the front calipers stuck, so those got replaced. Both pretty common. The valve in the AC had to be replaced, a bit of a pain to get to, but not a huge issue ($30 part). The interior is that of any Subaru. If you are coming from a luxury vehicle, you might not like it. Always seems to be cheaply made, but I've never had any issues. Would recommend to anyone needing an overall reliable car. Any Subaru really.

very good car for the money
By awduser on 10/27/13 19:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son bought it used with 170,000 km in 2007 and I got it from him with about 210,000 km. This month it turned 300,000 km. Engine and transmission all original but have small oil leak, probably from valve cover gasket. Had trouble with A/C compressor - replaced this summer (after 11 years of service). Had to overhaul front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, again after 11 years. Shock absorbers started leaking last year - I think 10 years is as good as it gets for driving through Canadian winters. And so apart from some rust (se reference to Canadian winters above), the vehicle looks and driving qualities are the same when we got it, and I even suspect it drives like new.

Super WRX wagon
By stocksj on 06/07/12 05:18 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Blue WRX wagon because I liked the way it performed in the WRC rallys. The car was my favorite and was a stout performer. I'd still have it if it wasn't for the super stiff clutch wearing my left knee out. Replaced it with a 2005 RS wagon

Reliable
By sbohan on 03/15/11 08:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my wrx in July of 2004 while I was attending community college in Pennsylvania. I chose the wrx because of the power and the awd. I chose the wagon because it cut my insurance in half (I was a 19 year old male buying a turbo charged car). I have driven the car as a daily driver ever since. I later attended Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana which lead to some 500 mile trips back and forth to Pennsylvaina. I now have close to 140,000 miles on the car. Aside from tires and brakes, I have replaced the clutch at 900$ including labor and almost all of the ac components at 1400$ including labor. 7 years and 140,000 miles with ony 2300$ in repairs is pretty good in my book.

Best Car I've had
By magwajo on 08/26/10 19:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my 2002 WRX brand new and, at 126K, it's still going strong until recently. I had to get the radiator replaced ($600) and new brakes a few months ago, but I figured I was coming due with something. Hopefully, nothing in the near future. Fun to drive car. I had blacker leather and heated seats put in as I hated the tight weave they had so it was impossible to get the dog hair out! Car handles great in the snow. A great practical car.

Super vehicle
By Robin on 07/28/10 09:12 AM (PDT)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love this little wagon. I bought it new and it has been so much fun to drive. I'm tall and it has a lot of headroom. It's fast and comfortable and a blast to drive. It's been extremely reliable until recently when at 92,000 miles I've had to replace the transmission and the air conditioner compressor. It has Recaro seats which are very comfortable and it has some engine adjustments by Cobb Tuning which drop the 0-60 time into the 4s. It will run with a Porsche at a third of the price. My son has a 2005 and he is 6'5" and he fits in it comfortably. I like my WRX much better than my wife's 2009 Lexus IS 350 which I have to fold myself up like a pretzel to get into.

Great till high mileage!
By climbrox on 03/07/10 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive. The 2.5L is just enough to make it peppy and fun. Good in most conditions, not great in any. Problems start at 140,000 and continue there on in. My advice would be to buy if mileage is low and get rid of if near 140,000.

Love the Subaru WRX
By Kyletran on 02/11/10 14:02 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car few month ago with 89000 miles on it at the small dealer in Norco and drove it home with happiness. The car still run great and powerful that surprise me and i don't have any problem with it at all until now. I love Subaru and love how they build the car that can last forever.

I will never buy another Subaru
By DeeDido on 11/21/09 17:31 PM (PST)

2002 Subaru Impreza TS AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

With 75,000 miles on it the head gasket had to be replaced. At 85,000 the power steering gear box. There is no trunk light. There is no lumbar support in the seats. My back is killing me. The visors did not have enough range to block the sun. It rattled constantly. The ride was extremely bumpy all the time. The engine noise was very loud. The stereo was terrible. Cruise control was not even an option. Stupid cup holder mounted on the dash board above the stereo.