Used 2002 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2 head gaskets at 20k
By dsomeda

2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

At 2 yrs old developed small oil drops leaks 20k miles. At 3yrs started to drip coolant on driveway and oil drops. Dealer would not cover this fix because Subaru claimed only the Forester has bad gaskets but they asked me for my VIN any way. They gave me a bottle of head gasket sealer for 2$ and told me they were going to charge me $3500 for new gasket replacement. The very fact that the dealer even stocked(sealant) and basically gave it to me indicated that they have a widespread problem. It did not work. Used Bars Stop Leak instead. 2014 75k add coolant twice a week and code (Knock) triggered prob due to worn bearings from water in oil.

Small size and good cargo capacity

Bad fuel economy. For Weight and power ave 20mi in city , 27Hwy. Terrible for 4 cyl. My six cylinder 3.8 l 3500lb boxy 87 automatic Buick Grand National gets 34 by camparison. Got stuck in snow high centered because of 2 open diffs does not power wheel side w traction. I assume the new symetrical drive takes care of this now. Make 4 wheel drive defeatable so better fuel economy w fw drive like a jeep patriot.

3rd Subaru - Wagon>Truck
By eddiethedog

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is my third Subaru. Previous was an 04 Sti and 98 2.5 rs. This car is very reliable even at 200K plus miles. I have replaced the 02 sensor once. The slide pins for the front calipers stuck, so those got replaced. Both pretty common. The valve in the AC had to be replaced, a bit of a pain to get to, but not a huge issue ($30 part). The interior is that of any Subaru. If you are coming from a luxury vehicle, you might not like it. Always seems to be cheaply made, but I've never had any issues. Would recommend to anyone needing an overall reliable car. Any Subaru really.

The interior space. There have been many times where we loaded this car up with more stuff than I thought was possible/you don't need a truck.

Gas mileage. Never did like the bug eye much (the front headlight setup), lucky it's gone.

very good car for the money
By awduser

2002 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My son bought it used with 170,000 km in 2007 and I got it from him with about 210,000 km. This month it turned 300,000 km. Engine and transmission all original but have small oil leak, probably from valve cover gasket. Had trouble with A/C compressor - replaced this summer (after 11 years of service). Had to overhaul front end - ball joints, tie rod ends, again after 11 years. Shock absorbers started leaking last year - I think 10 years is as good as it gets for driving through Canadian winters. And so apart from some rust (se reference to Canadian winters above), the vehicle looks and driving qualities are the same when we got it, and I even suspect it drives like new.

Road stability, acceleration, comfortable front seats.

Until I got new tires which i selected for comfort, I thought the car was overly noisy during highway driving. However, it's very quiet now. Rust over rear wheel wells seems to be a problem but I am not sure what improvements Subaru can make to counter salt and water on the roads.

Super WRX wagon
By stocksj

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my Blue WRX wagon because I liked the way it performed in the WRC rallys. The car was my favorite and was a stout performer. I'd still have it if it wasn't for the super stiff clutch wearing my left knee out. Replaced it with a 2005 RS wagon

Speed, AWD, looks

Improve the HVAC airflow, lighter clutch, better cup holders

Reliable
By sbohan

2002 Subaru Impreza WRX AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought my wrx in July of 2004 while I was attending community college in Pennsylvania. I chose the wrx because of the power and the awd. I chose the wagon because it cut my insurance in half (I was a 19 year old male buying a turbo charged car). I have driven the car as a daily driver ever since. I later attended Indiana University in Bloomington Indiana which lead to some 500 mile trips back and forth to Pennsylvaina. I now have close to 140,000 miles on the car. Aside from tires and brakes, I have replaced the clutch at 900$ including labor and almost all of the ac components at 1400$ including labor. 7 years and 140,000 miles with ony 2300$ in repairs is pretty good in my book.

I love the turbo, wish it was an STI though. I bought the wagon for insurance purposes, however after going away to college, growing up and buying a house I am so grateful for the practicality of the wagon. I have a 100+ pound rottweiler who absouletly loves riding in the hatch area, keeping my back seat free of hair and tears. The amount of cargo space given in the wagon is astounding for a small car. I also love the awd system. My fiance has an IS250 awd which doesn't have a rear LSD and its center diff doesn't put power to both axles as well either. Her car is good in the snow, but the wrx is amazing. The difference in awd systems from car to car is much greater than I thought.

The best improvement that came for the standard wrx was in 2006 when they switched to the 2.5 liter engine. The 2.0 is a little underpowered if you don't keep the revs up. I have driven my friends 2006 and there is a very noticible difference in power at low rpms. That being said, if you are on the gas and keeping the revs up, the difference is pretty minimal and the extra cash that one would spend on a newer wrx may not be worth it.