Used 2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

NoMoreSubi
By nomoresubi

2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I wish I could write a great review of the Three Subiís Iíve owned however, per my experience Iím not able to. Subaru has major major major design, engineering, assembly, and supplier parts quality issues. Here is my experience. 1999 Outback about 40,000 miles head gaskets blow. Several thousand for a new engine (yea sometimes the heads and block will warp when the head gaskets blow) car totaled. 2001 about 500 miles head gaskets blow. Another engine about 40,000 miles spun bearing. Run only Mobil 1 every 3-5,000 miles oil change. Car totaled. 1997 outback 20 miles yep 20 miles head gaskets blow. All Three were the EJ25 4 cyl engine.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back the unique styling of the 2002 to 2005. All the current models say "me to"... Greatly improve your design, engineering, and supplier parts quality.

Subaru
By ajackphd

2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The model year after this one - 2001 and beyond - has more leg room in the back seat. Only complaint I have about this car is not much back seat room. But the sporty styling in the 2001 model year is much perferable to the more sedan conventional style look of the 2202 and beyond

Favorite Features

AWD, heating/cooling, sporty exterior styling, good handling

Suggested Improvements

tighter turning radius, more leg room in the back seat.

Legacy Wagon a very useful car
By salligator

2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a Legacy wagon as a snow car since I go to work on very twisty, hilly roads that are icy and frequently covered in more than 12 inches of snow. I never even noticed the snow or rain. The car also carried my Samoyed dog in the back with its dog gate. I could get large objects like doors with the door frame into the car completely inside the car. It always ran, started and it could fo 95 without any problems on the highway. It also had fantastic resale value. I paid 19.5 and after 3 years I received 13.5 with a slightly damaged bumper.

Favorite Features

go in snow, carry lots of stuff, carry big dog, very low depreciation.

Suggested Improvements

More power, and it should come with a CD player. Also the Subaru alarm is very annoying.

AWD 4-dr Sport Wagon
By Kiyoshi Kim

2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My first time purchasing Subaru and used vehicle. The decision was based on Clark Howard recommendation, who favors used car over new. Was originally thinking about WRX. Nice-looking exterior and sturdy machine to operate during rainy weather though it has not been tested in inclement condition due to persistently sunny days in Oregon!?

Favorite Features

Pretty quiet for 2.2 L engine.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. More cup holder for the front seat. Standard equipment radio can be better.

Impressive
By Huan-Wen Chiu

2001 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Sure footed in any kind of weather and over any road surface. With performance and versatility to spare in a sleeper wagon body.

Favorite Features

AWD.

Suggested Improvements

More power!