Used 2001 Subaru Impreza RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Impreza RS - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I miss my RS2.5 already
By jcwren

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2.5RS in 2001, and have never regretted it for a moment. Unfortunately, on March 23rd, with 121,823 miles on it, someone nailed it in a parking lot and did $7K of damage, so it was totaled out. I had a lot of amateur radio gear installed in it, and when I had to go to the body shop to remove it, I just about cried when I walked away from the car (yea, 49 year old guy). I had planned to drive it until the wheels fell off, and it was over-due for the 105K major service interval. Only real problem was a slow drip from the head gasket on to the exhaust, which left the garage smelling like hot oil now and again. Would I buy another? Without question (if I could only find one...)

My favorite is that in 11 years in the city of Atlanta, I only every saw *4* other 2.5RS's. The 2.5L engine is perky, pulls strong, comfortable seats, good ergonomics, reliable.

Release a 2013 model in this body style (the 2-door looks much nicer than the 4-door WRX/STi), but with the STi engine/drive train. Imagine 330HP in this body style :) That'd be awesome.

a fun car for any age
By georgette

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love to drive my car, it is sharp and fun to drive. i was in a parking lot at one of our local grocery stores and when i came out, saw a note on my windshield, and it said, if ever interested in selling my car give him a call and he will be far in pricing it. cannot find one that looks like it and still turns heads when i go by, not bad for a 58 year old. only issue is that i was told may need a pricey head gasket in the future.

stick, fog lights and look.

radio for sure.

Caution!
By Oshkosh

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around, sporty, decent power, drives strong. Beware of the leaking head gasket, VERY expensive to repair (3-4k), knock sensor tends to go out at least once, otherwise drives superb in snow and rain with great suspension and AWD, Limited Slip is a plus.

AWD + LSD, Fog lights, exterior looks.

Better preventive headgasket issues, better gas mileage (average 22 mpg city/hwy combined) for a 4 cylinder

2.5 RS
By Amy

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since the fall of 2000. I preferred the "Old School" style and wasn't really interested in waiting for the new WRX to come out. I was a previous owner of an Outback Sport (98) and loved that. The RS with the leather interior that I upgraded to made me love the Impreza even more. I use it as my daily driver, drop my toddler off to preschool (the 4 doors are a bonus for this over the coupe). The trunk is large enough to fit a full size hockey bag-but one drawback of the 01 is that the seats don't fold down. Never had an issue with anything mechanical. Now with 97,-000 miles on it, it's still going strong. Excellent in the snow. I would highly recommend this car.

Rally styling and handling. The RS has the ABS brakes, CD player, moon roof, standard.

The extra horsepower is nice, but I wish it got just a bit better gas mileage. I average in the mid 20's, but with gas 3 dollars a gallon it takes $42 to fill it up. Fold down seats (which they do on anything newer than 2001) would have been nice.

Sporty Compact Enthusiast Sedan
By 2.5RS

2001 Subaru Impreza RS 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because Ii wanted a compact sedan that would be reliable but also fun to drive. The 2.5RS has exceeded in both categories. There is road noise to contend with at higher speeds, but not much more than any other similarly priced compact car. There is an extensive aftermarket community for modifications. The car had a somewhat limited production making them a bit of an enthusiast's entry level tuner as an alternative to Honda. If you do find one of these cars, be warned that *everyone* will ask if it is a WRX or an STI.

All wheel drive. Moonroof. Leather option. Easy access to oil drain and filter. Frameless windows. My friend's fingers got slammed between the window and the B pillar as the door closed and he was fine, just a little sore.

The rear seat is a bit cramped with front passengers over 6 feet tall and the rear seats are bolted in so you need a rack for ski/bike trips. Center armrest extension and top storage compartment are less solid than the rest of the car. Road noise is also a problem at speeds over 50mph.