Used 2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2001 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

I miss my RS2.5 already
By jcwren

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2.5RS in 2001, and have never regretted it for a moment. Unfortunately, on March 23rd, with 121,823 miles on it, someone nailed it in a parking lot and did $7K of damage, so it was totaled out. I had a lot of amateur radio gear installed in it, and when I had to go to the body shop to remove it, I just about cried when I walked away from the car (yea, 49 year old guy). I had planned to drive it until the wheels fell off, and it was over-due for the 105K major service interval. Only real problem was a slow drip from the head gasket on to the exhaust, which left the garage smelling like hot oil now and again. Would I buy another? Without question (if I could only find one...)

My favorite is that in 11 years in the city of Atlanta, I only every saw *4* other 2.5RS's. The 2.5L engine is perky, pulls strong, comfortable seats, good ergonomics, reliable.

Release a 2013 model in this body style (the 2-door looks much nicer than the 4-door WRX/STi), but with the STi engine/drive train. Imagine 330HP in this body style :) That'd be awesome.

a fun car for any age
By georgette

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love to drive my car, it is sharp and fun to drive. i was in a parking lot at one of our local grocery stores and when i came out, saw a note on my windshield, and it said, if ever interested in selling my car give him a call and he will be far in pricing it. cannot find one that looks like it and still turns heads when i go by, not bad for a 58 year old. only issue is that i was told may need a pricey head gasket in the future.

stick, fog lights and look.

radio for sure.

Amazing handling
By Dennis

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and built like a tank. Very reliable and much better than its competition. I have owned it over 4 years and it still amazes me. Love the design and wish Subaru would bring back the 2 door in the current Impreza. Would purchase another Subaru in a minute.

Exterior styling. Easy to work on and modify. I have lowered the suspension, upgraded the intake and exhaust, and brake rotors. Very reliable and the All Wheel Drive is the best part in any weather condition.

Better paint and better interior materials.

The best looking Subaru yet!
By BlvdKing

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed this car so far. It doesn't have the performance it should possess by the look of the car. I have the leather seating and love the comfort and material quality. It handles amazing and drives almost as nice in snow and ice. Subaru makes a true "all season" car. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a fun to drive, fairly economical, great looking, and quality built car. The only thing it is lacking is the turbo performance other newer subaru's have like the WRX and WRX Sti.

aggressive styling, one of the best handling cars in its class, quality fit and finish, and the best AWD system on the planet it is always there when you need it.

I always wish it had a turbo from the factory. This car would have been amazing with the torque of the 2.5L and the power of a turbo there wouldn't be many cars that could compete if this car was set up properly.

Slightly quirky, but a blast to drive
By Brian

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this car at all. The clutch can be a little quirky, especially when it's cold. Once you get the hang of it it's alright. Frameless side windows rattle when you close the door with them partway down. It's stubborn sometimes about going into first gear. Although it understeers a bit, once you figure out how the car likes to be driven, it is very rewarding. I get compliments on the look of the car. Build quality is very good (no annoying squeaks or rattles). I love the sounds the engine makes. The engine loves to be driven hard, but is quite tractable in town. Fun to drive no matter the weather (AWD advantage). My next car will be a Subaru.

AWD - Fun can be had no matter the weather. Great reliability. Good quality build.

Improve interior materials. Update transmission. Could go for a little better fuel economy, but isn't too bad for a car with AWD. I would suggest more power, but that has been addressed by later models.