2001 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
I miss my RS2.5 already
By jcwren on 04/10/12 10:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2.5RS in 2001, and have never regretted it for a moment. Unfortunately, on March 23rd, with 121,823 miles on it, someone nailed it in a parking lot and did $7K of damage, so it was totaled out. I had a lot of amateur radio gear installed in it, and when I had to go to the body shop to remove it, I just about cried when I walked away from the car (yea, 49 year old guy). I had planned to drive it until the wheels fell off, and it was over-due for the 105K major service interval. Only real problem was a slow drip from the head gasket on to the exhaust, which left the garage smelling like hot oil now and again. Would I buy another? Without question (if I could only find one...)

a fun car for any age
By georgette on 02/12/10 17:04 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love to drive my car, it is sharp and fun to drive. i was in a parking lot at one of our local grocery stores and when i came out, saw a note on my windshield, and it said, if ever interested in selling my car give him a call and he will be far in pricing it. cannot find one that looks like it and still turns heads when i go by, not bad for a 58 year old. only issue is that i was told may need a pricey head gasket in the future.

Amazing handling
By Dennis on 04/28/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and built like a tank. Very reliable and much better than its competition. I have owned it over 4 years and it still amazes me. Love the design and wish Subaru would bring back the 2 door in the current Impreza. Would purchase another Subaru in a minute.

The best looking Subaru yet!
By BlvdKing on 03/15/05 13:08 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed this car so far. It doesn't have the performance it should possess by the look of the car. I have the leather seating and love the comfort and material quality. It handles amazing and drives almost as nice in snow and ice. Subaru makes a true "all season" car. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a fun to drive, fairly economical, great looking, and quality built car. The only thing it is lacking is the turbo performance other newer subaru's have like the WRX and WRX Sti.

Slightly quirky, but a blast to drive
By Brian on 02/04/05 18:14 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this car at all. The clutch can be a little quirky, especially when it's cold. Once you get the hang of it it's alright. Frameless side windows rattle when you close the door with them partway down. It's stubborn sometimes about going into first gear. Although it understeers a bit, once you figure out how the car likes to be driven, it is very rewarding. I get compliments on the look of the car. Build quality is very good (no annoying squeaks or rattles). I love the sounds the engine makes. The engine loves to be driven hard, but is quite tractable in town. Fun to drive no matter the weather (AWD advantage). My next car will be a Subaru.

Needs refinement- but I love mine!
By John B on 04/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and have put 47,000 miles on it in 2 1/2 years. The clutch was replaced under warranty at 30,000 miles for chattering, particularly when cold (~30-40 degrees). I'm about to replace it again, but at my own cost. The gearing is very low, making the car very responsive to gas pedal movement, but very jerky in traffic. One more gripe: the rear seat doesn't fold down. That being said, it's a blast to drive, and all wheel drive gives excellent traction, regardless of weather conditions. Despite my complaints, my next car will be another Subaru. You can't beat the value.

FUN TO DRIVE - RELIABLE - UGLY DUCKLING
By SLICO on 03/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

LITTLE SPITFIRE, FULL OF ENERGY.

Cheap Fun
By JDS1975 on 11/22/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The RS provides an active driving experience for those who know how to use it. The combination of a balanced chassis and performance oriented suspension give the driver the ability to handle challenging roads and conditions with fun and excitement. The interior dimensions may not provide room for the larger driver, sorry you football lineman out there you will not fit. There is a need for more power, which was delivered in 2002 with the WRX. Unfortunately the WRX only comes in sedan and wagon. The WRX continues the Fun and excitement started with the 2.5RS, yet they too could use more power.

Go Rally
By SWRT on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Overall the car is excellent. Lots of modifications possible. Grabs other motorists attention for it's good looks. Great in snow.

An awesome car for all times!
By NeoGeo on 08/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Every drive has been enjoyable. I have roughed a blizzard in 2000 with this car and the AWD just amazes me. Gas mileage averages around 25 MPG including spirited driving. The standard feature list is incredible and should be for the base price. The seats are comfy and gripy, the interior room is spacious, and the rear seat is somewhat spacious. I haven't had any problems with the 2.5 RS, sans a passenger seat that did not kick up when the rear passengers wanted to exit, which Subaru fixed. Also, Subaru has been great to deal with during oil changes and their support of factory performance parts and accessories is on par with Toyota's TRD department.