2001 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
I miss my RS2.5 already
By jcwren on 04/10/12 10:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2.5RS in 2001, and have never regretted it for a moment. Unfortunately, on March 23rd, with 121,823 miles on it, someone nailed it in a parking lot and did $7K of damage, so it was totaled out. I had a lot of amateur radio gear installed in it, and when I had to go to the body shop to remove it, I just about cried when I walked away from the car (yea, 49 year old guy). I had planned to drive it until the wheels fell off, and it was over-due for the 105K major service interval. Only real problem was a slow drip from the head gasket on to the exhaust, which left the garage smelling like hot oil now and again. Would I buy another? Without question (if I could only find one...)

NoMoreSubi
By nomoresubi on 09/12/11 19:07 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza L AWD 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I wish I could write a great review of the Three Subiís Iíve owned however, per my experience Iím not able to. Subaru has major major major design, engineering, assembly, and supplier parts quality issues. Here is my experience. 1999 Outback about 40,000 miles head gaskets blow. Several thousand for a new engine (yea sometimes the heads and block will warp when the head gaskets blow) car totaled. 2001 about 500 miles head gaskets blow. Another engine about 40,000 miles spun bearing. Run only Mobil 1 every 3-5,000 miles oil change. Car totaled. 1997 outback 20 miles yep 20 miles head gaskets blow. All Three were the EJ25 4 cyl engine.

a fun car for any age
By georgette on 02/12/10 17:04 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

love to drive my car, it is sharp and fun to drive. i was in a parking lot at one of our local grocery stores and when i came out, saw a note on my windshield, and it said, if ever interested in selling my car give him a call and he will be far in pricing it. cannot find one that looks like it and still turns heads when i go by, not bad for a 58 year old. only issue is that i was told may need a pricey head gasket in the future.

Caution!
By Oshkosh on 02/19/09 09:37 AM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Great car all around, sporty, decent power, drives strong. Beware of the leaking head gasket, VERY expensive to repair (3-4k), knock sensor tends to go out at least once, otherwise drives superb in snow and rain with great suspension and AWD, Limited Slip is a plus.

2.5 RS
By Amy on 08/14/06 13:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned this car since the fall of 2000. I preferred the "Old School" style and wasn't really interested in waiting for the new WRX to come out. I was a previous owner of an Outback Sport (98) and loved that. The RS with the leather interior that I upgraded to made me love the Impreza even more. I use it as my daily driver, drop my toddler off to preschool (the 4 doors are a bonus for this over the coupe). The trunk is large enough to fit a full size hockey bag-but one drawback of the 01 is that the seats don't fold down. Never had an issue with anything mechanical. Now with 97,-000 miles on it, it's still going strong. Excellent in the snow. I would highly recommend this car.

Sporty Compact Enthusiast Sedan
By 2.5RS on 06/29/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because Ii wanted a compact sedan that would be reliable but also fun to drive. The 2.5RS has exceeded in both categories. There is road noise to contend with at higher speeds, but not much more than any other similarly priced compact car. There is an extensive aftermarket community for modifications. The car had a somewhat limited production making them a bit of an enthusiast's entry level tuner as an alternative to Honda. If you do find one of these cars, be warned that *everyone* will ask if it is a WRX or an STI.

Amazing handling
By Dennis on 04/28/05 22:51 PM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and built like a tank. Very reliable and much better than its competition. I have owned it over 4 years and it still amazes me. Love the design and wish Subaru would bring back the 2 door in the current Impreza. Would purchase another Subaru in a minute.

The best looking Subaru yet!
By BlvdKing on 03/15/05 13:08 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed this car so far. It doesn't have the performance it should possess by the look of the car. I have the leather seating and love the comfort and material quality. It handles amazing and drives almost as nice in snow and ice. Subaru makes a true "all season" car. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a fun to drive, fairly economical, great looking, and quality built car. The only thing it is lacking is the turbo performance other newer subaru's have like the WRX and WRX Sti.

Slightly quirky, but a blast to drive
By Brian on 02/04/05 18:14 PM (PST)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this car at all. The clutch can be a little quirky, especially when it's cold. Once you get the hang of it it's alright. Frameless side windows rattle when you close the door with them partway down. It's stubborn sometimes about going into first gear. Although it understeers a bit, once you figure out how the car likes to be driven, it is very rewarding. I get compliments on the look of the car. Build quality is very good (no annoying squeaks or rattles). I love the sounds the engine makes. The engine loves to be driven hard, but is quite tractable in town. Fun to drive no matter the weather (AWD advantage). My next car will be a Subaru.

If not the Greatest
By Ramza on 08/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is one of the GREATEST cars ever. It's my first car as a teenager, and let me tell you, ive driven an M3 before... and this thing... its quite similiar. Dont get me wrong its not a super fast car but it is a Super quick car. A 5 spd is a MUST!! If you get this thing in 5-spd, you will never regret it... if you push it into the powerband this work of beauty goes off like a rocket. Leaving everything behind. Looks very sporty, very admirable, Definetly an eye catcher. Not to mention its damn comfortable inside. No complaints about the Sound system either, its decent.GREAT Value and a Great buy.