2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2000 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Great handling, good acceleration, long legs on the highway, built-in roof rack, sound of the boxer in 5th gear.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel bearing longevity, clutch actuator assembly, factory battery, moisture resistance of ignition, A/C longevity, warping disc rotors, corroding disc rotors, better cup holders, intrusion of rear suspension into cargo area.

Very Reliable Subaru
By Big M

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru after test driving it in the snow and loving the way it handled. I currently have 150k on the car and it runs perfect. I will buy another Subaru again based on this experience.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the handling and the way the car gets good power from such a small engine (fuel efficient). I average 26mpg on mixed driving and as high as 31mpg on the interstate

Suggested Improvements

There is a lot of ambient noise in the car, it can get a little annoying when my three young kids are in the car with the radio on.

Love my Subaru Wagon
By Lisa Green

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon. It's such a reliable little car and is always ready to haul gear for my band, carry mulch for the garden, or go on vacation. My costs for repair in the last five years have been minimal, with the exception of replacing one oxygen sensor (to meet NY state inspection) and replacing the timing belt (standard after 60,000 miles).

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the hatch back which makes it easy to haul anything.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had wheels instead of wheel covers, which always break and get lost. Also wish loading deck to trunk was lower. Seats should be a little bit higher and more padded/comfy.

Michigan review
By Subuaru Impreza

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has really kept us moving. It it good on gas (about 25 hwy) and rides smoothly. The turn radius is good for parking. The hatch back is ideal for around town for a trip to the grocery or even hardware store, as the back seats easily fold down (2/3 split) to allow one person in back while extra room is created for long items such as garden tools or lumber. The ride could be a little quieter but then that would mean more weight thus increasing mileage. So can't have everything. The AWD is great in heavy downpours or when snow begins to fall. I really feel secure to the road, even during these conditions.

Favorite Features

Hatchback and fold downs seats let me fit anything. The AWD really help as Michigan's snow begins to fall. The gas mileage is great to get the kids to and fro and get us to work.

Suggested Improvements

It should be less noisy. Cruising on the highway tends to be a bit windy sounding. The room in back seat is not ideal for tall persons.

Dejvu All Over Again
By Big truck driver

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Neding a small and reliable car for daily commute, I looked over Honda, Nissan, and the Dodge Neon, finally deciding on the Suburu Outback Sport.I have been driving a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab for the past three years and needed something more economical for my 35 mile one way daily commute. The only thing getting used to was the size difference.Exterior looks great. Bought used but well taken care of. It's a pleasure and lots of fun to drive. Interior could be appointed a bit nicer for the price of the car, Who ever designed the cup holder to sit in front of the dash vent and heter/air controls should be looking for a new job.

Favorite Features

Style Performance Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Interior could have a more mature look.

Good pick for the time
By sjh

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

There are things I love and hate about my 2000 subaru. It handles GREAT! I can really feel the AWD kick in. But I hate some of the littler things. My muffler has rattled since day one, and the dealer keeps telling me nothing is wrong - though my mechanic says there is a piece of metal in the muffler. My visor keeps falling off. I have to keep a screwdriver under my seat. The air flow switch jams. The car is quite noisey because of the framework and some cheaper interior parts. The frameless windows lets water in. It scratches and scuffs easily. The bunch of little things make me think I won't do it again, though it's been reliable and nice handling.

Favorite Features

It handles great.

Suggested Improvements

Stuff from above - the little stuff counts!

no regrets
By Nick in Calgary

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a versatile, reliable and fun to drive car. I've had few problems except for noises from heat shields and rear hatch. Interior is cheap in places and frameless windows will let water in from car washes. On the plus side it has been cheap to maintain and no warranty fixes, and I have not babied this car. It goes through 8" of snow/mud and can pack lots of gear. It handles much better than any small SUV and is as quick as many "sports" cars with lots of low end torque. Manual transmission is notchy and gas mileage is not outstanding. Overall a great vehicle for hauling outdoor gear, camping and auction buys.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, torquey engine and good reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior and squeaks and rattles, a Honda manual transmission.

My subaru is dead :(
By Accurateimage

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Countless tranny problems that SOA ignored, had them since the beginning and one the car hit 60,000 miles which is the warrenty they basically told me to kiss there rears, WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER SUBARU AGAIN FROM THE CONSTANT TRANNY PROBLEMS, THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 7 MONTHS NOW BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE AN EXTRA $1200 EVERY 30,000- 40,000 MILES TO FIX THE OUTPUT SHAFT PROBLEMS IN THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION WHICH IS A COMMON PROBLEM THAT SUBARU DOES NOTHING ABOUT!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

REDESIGN OR RECALL ALL THE MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS IN ALL OF THE IMPREZA'S FROM 1999-2001, VERY RETARDED DESIGN OF THE CLUTCH FORK / OUTPUT SHAFT THAT EVEN LEFT MY LOCAL MACHING SHOP GOING "DUH"

Grocery getter?? NOT!!!!
By Kalibos

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Outback. Traded in a Civic EX for it. The handling is superior to the Civic and a lot of other cars in it's class. Recently went on a drive with a bunch of 2002 WRX's in the mtns. My car handled just a well as they did on the turns and curves. Granted they had more horsepower. But where the road ends the pretty little road cars have to stop and I can go on. It's a blast to go to the local offroad sites and play around with the BIG Monster truck type. Seeing the looks on their faces is truly rewarding.

Favorite Features

HANDLES LIKE A SPORTS CAR ON ROAD, LIKE A RALLY CAR OFF ROAD.

Suggested Improvements

FACTORY TURBO MOD???

Subaru Outback Sport
By Buell902

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 2000 Outback Sport and it's a great car. I was going to get a 2002, I drove both standard and auto. If you want a more fun car to drive, go with the 2002, it gets an added 20 horse and 20 torq. But if you like the "Power Bulge" get a 2001 or older model, the car looks great, and it's awesome to see the look on people's face getting beat by a wagon. and off road capaple out the wazoo. great suspension, great handling. handles, and grips better than my brothers Jaguar XK8, overall this is one fun car.

Favorite Features

"power bulge" Sport Seats Wagon - more room, great looks, simple, yet well planned positioning of dials.

Suggested Improvements

more power, they did that for 2002, so I can't say that anymore, but I wish they'd kept the scoop in the hood for 2002, but it will take away from the WRX, so got to give up something to get something.