2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
RIP at 261,000 miles
By MileHighMotorist on 06/05/09 23:10 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Dead due to a broken timing belt at 261,000 original miles (entirely my fault: I only only replaced the timing belt twice & I ignored the squealing belt for a week before it broke). Remarkably good condition at death, considering what I'd put it through over the years -- who knows how many miles I'd have gotten if I'd checked out that squealing belt? Only two serious flaws in my opinion: The clutch cable snapped TWICE during ownership (once during a blizzard!), and too little ground clearance, particularly in front (an old Toyota Tercel EZ I'd previously owned was actually much better on rough backroads than the Subaru). Overall this car is a solid winner, though, despite a few complaints.

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks on 05/13/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Underpowered but reliable - easy drive
By Neil on 03/10/07 01:51 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is very reliable. That was part of the reason I bought it in the first place. It will hug any surface and get you out of a tight spot if caught on any loose surface.

Very Reliable Subaru
By Big M on 09/09/06 07:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru after test driving it in the snow and loving the way it handled. I currently have 150k on the car and it runs perfect. I will buy another Subaru again based on this experience.

Love my Subaru Wagon
By Lisa Green on 07/13/06 13:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon. It's such a reliable little car and is always ready to haul gear for my band, carry mulch for the garden, or go on vacation. My costs for repair in the last five years have been minimal, with the exception of replacing one oxygen sensor (to meet NY state inspection) and replacing the timing belt (standard after 60,000 miles).

Michigan review
By Subuaru Impreza on 05/18/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has really kept us moving. It it good on gas (about 25 hwy) and rides smoothly. The turn radius is good for parking. The hatch back is ideal for around town for a trip to the grocery or even hardware store, as the back seats easily fold down (2/3 split) to allow one person in back while extra room is created for long items such as garden tools or lumber. The ride could be a little quieter but then that would mean more weight thus increasing mileage. So can't have everything. The AWD is great in heavy downpours or when snow begins to fall. I really feel secure to the road, even during these conditions.

Impreza
By nukegirl on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is super practical for a single, active person and really fun to drive. Acceleration and handling are great. I can't think of a better fit for me at this time in my life.

Dejvu All Over Again
By Big truck driver on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Neding a small and reliable car for daily commute, I looked over Honda, Nissan, and the Dodge Neon, finally deciding on the Suburu Outback Sport.I have been driving a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab for the past three years and needed something more economical for my 35 mile one way daily commute. The only thing getting used to was the size difference.Exterior looks great. Bought used but well taken care of. It's a pleasure and lots of fun to drive. Interior could be appointed a bit nicer for the price of the car, Who ever designed the cup holder to sit in front of the dash vent and heter/air controls should be looking for a new job.

Good pick for the time
By sjh on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

There are things I love and hate about my 2000 subaru. It handles GREAT! I can really feel the AWD kick in. But I hate some of the littler things. My muffler has rattled since day one, and the dealer keeps telling me nothing is wrong - though my mechanic says there is a piece of metal in the muffler. My visor keeps falling off. I have to keep a screwdriver under my seat. The air flow switch jams. The car is quite noisey because of the framework and some cheaper interior parts. The frameless windows lets water in. It scratches and scuffs easily. The bunch of little things make me think I won't do it again, though it's been reliable and nice handling.

no regrets
By Nick in Calgary on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a versatile, reliable and fun to drive car. I've had few problems except for noises from heat shields and rear hatch. Interior is cheap in places and frameless windows will let water in from car washes. On the plus side it has been cheap to maintain and no warranty fixes, and I have not babied this car. It goes through 8" of snow/mud and can pack lots of gear. It handles much better than any small SUV and is as quick as many "sports" cars with lots of low end torque. Manual transmission is notchy and gas mileage is not outstanding. Overall a great vehicle for hauling outdoor gear, camping and auction buys.