Used 2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

RIP at 261,000 miles
By MileHighMotorist

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Dead due to a broken timing belt at 261,000 original miles (entirely my fault: I only only replaced the timing belt twice & I ignored the squealing belt for a week before it broke). Remarkably good condition at death, considering what I'd put it through over the years -- who knows how many miles I'd have gotten if I'd checked out that squealing belt? Only two serious flaws in my opinion: The clutch cable snapped TWICE during ownership (once during a blizzard!), and too little ground clearance, particularly in front (an old Toyota Tercel EZ I'd previously owned was actually much better on rough backroads than the Subaru). Overall this car is a solid winner, though, despite a few complaints.

A remarkably durable vehicle for the most part. Zippy performance (2.2L engine & manual transmission) and excellent handling for such a cheap vehicle. Excellent visibility & driving position.

Clutch cable problems and warped rotors are too common. No indicator showing if & when the AWD kicks in-- it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels start to slip. Body style of the 2000 L wagon is particularly ugly: Like a stretched- out old AMC Pacer! Who digs that look? Nobody!

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Great handling, good acceleration, long legs on the highway, built-in roof rack, sound of the boxer in 5th gear.

Wheel bearing longevity, clutch actuator assembly, factory battery, moisture resistance of ignition, A/C longevity, warping disc rotors, corroding disc rotors, better cup holders, intrusion of rear suspension into cargo area.

Underpowered but reliable - easy drive
By Neil

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is very reliable. That was part of the reason I bought it in the first place. It will hug any surface and get you out of a tight spot if caught on any loose surface.

Handling is hard to beat. Visibility all round is good although front pillars are a bit too far forward blocking signals from other cars changing lanes. Cruise control works very well.

The design of the rear doors needed improving as they often had a pointy bit that jutted into the tummy when opening. Headrests were lousy. Automatic transmission works well but makes for a badly underpowered unit. Don't expect to overtake in a hurry. Remote control only works when next to car.

Very Reliable Subaru
By Big M

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru after test driving it in the snow and loving the way it handled. I currently have 150k on the car and it runs perfect. I will buy another Subaru again based on this experience.

I enjoy the handling and the way the car gets good power from such a small engine (fuel efficient). I average 26mpg on mixed driving and as high as 31mpg on the interstate

There is a lot of ambient noise in the car, it can get a little annoying when my three young kids are in the car with the radio on.

Love my Subaru Wagon
By Lisa Green

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon. It's such a reliable little car and is always ready to haul gear for my band, carry mulch for the garden, or go on vacation. My costs for repair in the last five years have been minimal, with the exception of replacing one oxygen sensor (to meet NY state inspection) and replacing the timing belt (standard after 60,000 miles).

My favorite feature is the hatch back which makes it easy to haul anything.

I wish the car had wheels instead of wheel covers, which always break and get lost. Also wish loading deck to trunk was lower. Seats should be a little bit higher and more padded/comfy.