2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

2000 Impreza Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
RIP at 261,000 miles
By MileHighMotorist

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Dead due to a broken timing belt at 261,000 original miles (entirely my fault: I only only replaced the timing belt twice & I ignored the squealing belt for a week before it broke). Remarkably good condition at death, considering what I'd put it through over the years -- who knows how many miles I'd have gotten if I'd checked out that squealing belt? Only two serious flaws in my opinion: The clutch cable snapped TWICE during ownership (once during a blizzard!), and too little ground clearance, particularly in front (an old Toyota Tercel EZ I'd previously owned was actually much better on rough backroads than the Subaru). Overall this car is a solid winner, though, despite a few complaints.

Favorite Features

A remarkably durable vehicle for the most part. Zippy performance (2.2L engine & manual transmission) and excellent handling for such a cheap vehicle. Excellent visibility & driving position.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch cable problems and warped rotors are too common. No indicator showing if & when the AWD kicks in-- it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels start to slip. Body style of the 2000 L wagon is particularly ugly: Like a stretched- out old AMC Pacer! Who digs that look? Nobody!

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Favorite Features

Great handling, good acceleration, long legs on the highway, built-in roof rack, sound of the boxer in 5th gear.

Suggested Improvements

Wheel bearing longevity, clutch actuator assembly, factory battery, moisture resistance of ignition, A/C longevity, warping disc rotors, corroding disc rotors, better cup holders, intrusion of rear suspension into cargo area.

Underpowered but reliable - easy drive
By Neil

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is very reliable. That was part of the reason I bought it in the first place. It will hug any surface and get you out of a tight spot if caught on any loose surface.

Favorite Features

Handling is hard to beat. Visibility all round is good although front pillars are a bit too far forward blocking signals from other cars changing lanes. Cruise control works very well.

Suggested Improvements

The design of the rear doors needed improving as they often had a pointy bit that jutted into the tummy when opening. Headrests were lousy. Automatic transmission works well but makes for a badly underpowered unit. Don't expect to overtake in a hurry. Remote control only works when next to car.

Very Reliable Subaru
By Big M

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru after test driving it in the snow and loving the way it handled. I currently have 150k on the car and it runs perfect. I will buy another Subaru again based on this experience.

Favorite Features

I enjoy the handling and the way the car gets good power from such a small engine (fuel efficient). I average 26mpg on mixed driving and as high as 31mpg on the interstate

Suggested Improvements

There is a lot of ambient noise in the car, it can get a little annoying when my three young kids are in the car with the radio on.

Love my Subaru Wagon
By Lisa Green

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon. It's such a reliable little car and is always ready to haul gear for my band, carry mulch for the garden, or go on vacation. My costs for repair in the last five years have been minimal, with the exception of replacing one oxygen sensor (to meet NY state inspection) and replacing the timing belt (standard after 60,000 miles).

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the hatch back which makes it easy to haul anything.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the car had wheels instead of wheel covers, which always break and get lost. Also wish loading deck to trunk was lower. Seats should be a little bit higher and more padded/comfy.

Michigan review
By Subuaru Impreza

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has really kept us moving. It it good on gas (about 25 hwy) and rides smoothly. The turn radius is good for parking. The hatch back is ideal for around town for a trip to the grocery or even hardware store, as the back seats easily fold down (2/3 split) to allow one person in back while extra room is created for long items such as garden tools or lumber. The ride could be a little quieter but then that would mean more weight thus increasing mileage. So can't have everything. The AWD is great in heavy downpours or when snow begins to fall. I really feel secure to the road, even during these conditions.

Favorite Features

Hatchback and fold downs seats let me fit anything. The AWD really help as Michigan's snow begins to fall. The gas mileage is great to get the kids to and fro and get us to work.

Suggested Improvements

It should be less noisy. Cruising on the highway tends to be a bit windy sounding. The room in back seat is not ideal for tall persons.

Impreza
By nukegirl

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is super practical for a single, active person and really fun to drive. Acceleration and handling are great. I can't think of a better fit for me at this time in my life.

Favorite Features

Handling - very fun to drive. Size - perfect for hauling things around, dogs, gear, etc... Just enough room for a few friends too. Gas mileage is good too!

Suggested Improvements

Seat covering material seems to be wearing a little more quickly than in past experiences I've had with Hondas.

Dejvu All Over Again
By Big truck driver

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Neding a small and reliable car for daily commute, I looked over Honda, Nissan, and the Dodge Neon, finally deciding on the Suburu Outback Sport.I have been driving a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab for the past three years and needed something more economical for my 35 mile one way daily commute. The only thing getting used to was the size difference.Exterior looks great. Bought used but well taken care of. It's a pleasure and lots of fun to drive. Interior could be appointed a bit nicer for the price of the car, Who ever designed the cup holder to sit in front of the dash vent and heter/air controls should be looking for a new job.

Favorite Features

Style Performance Mileage

Suggested Improvements

Interior could have a more mature look.

Good pick for the time
By sjh

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

There are things I love and hate about my 2000 subaru. It handles GREAT! I can really feel the AWD kick in. But I hate some of the littler things. My muffler has rattled since day one, and the dealer keeps telling me nothing is wrong - though my mechanic says there is a piece of metal in the muffler. My visor keeps falling off. I have to keep a screwdriver under my seat. The air flow switch jams. The car is quite noisey because of the framework and some cheaper interior parts. The frameless windows lets water in. It scratches and scuffs easily. The bunch of little things make me think I won't do it again, though it's been reliable and nice handling.

Favorite Features

It handles great.

Suggested Improvements

Stuff from above - the little stuff counts!

no regrets
By Nick in Calgary

2000 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a versatile, reliable and fun to drive car. I've had few problems except for noises from heat shields and rear hatch. Interior is cheap in places and frameless windows will let water in from car washes. On the plus side it has been cheap to maintain and no warranty fixes, and I have not babied this car. It goes through 8" of snow/mud and can pack lots of gear. It handles much better than any small SUV and is as quick as many "sports" cars with lots of low end torque. Manual transmission is notchy and gas mileage is not outstanding. Overall a great vehicle for hauling outdoor gear, camping and auction buys.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive, torquey engine and good reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Interior and squeaks and rattles, a Honda manual transmission.