2000 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks on 05/13/09 08:14 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Very Reliable Subaru
By Big M on 09/09/06 07:05 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Subaru after test driving it in the snow and loving the way it handled. I currently have 150k on the car and it runs perfect. I will buy another Subaru again based on this experience.

Love my Subaru Wagon
By Lisa Green on 07/13/06 13:21 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Subaru Impreza Outback Wagon. It's such a reliable little car and is always ready to haul gear for my band, carry mulch for the garden, or go on vacation. My costs for repair in the last five years have been minimal, with the exception of replacing one oxygen sensor (to meet NY state inspection) and replacing the timing belt (standard after 60,000 miles).

Michigan review
By Subuaru Impreza on 05/18/06 10:56 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

The car has really kept us moving. It it good on gas (about 25 hwy) and rides smoothly. The turn radius is good for parking. The hatch back is ideal for around town for a trip to the grocery or even hardware store, as the back seats easily fold down (2/3 split) to allow one person in back while extra room is created for long items such as garden tools or lumber. The ride could be a little quieter but then that would mean more weight thus increasing mileage. So can't have everything. The AWD is great in heavy downpours or when snow begins to fall. I really feel secure to the road, even during these conditions.

Dejvu All Over Again
By Big truck driver on 06/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Neding a small and reliable car for daily commute, I looked over Honda, Nissan, and the Dodge Neon, finally deciding on the Suburu Outback Sport.I have been driving a 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 crew cab for the past three years and needed something more economical for my 35 mile one way daily commute. The only thing getting used to was the size difference.Exterior looks great. Bought used but well taken care of. It's a pleasure and lots of fun to drive. Interior could be appointed a bit nicer for the price of the car, Who ever designed the cup holder to sit in front of the dash vent and heter/air controls should be looking for a new job.

Good pick for the time
By sjh on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

There are things I love and hate about my 2000 subaru. It handles GREAT! I can really feel the AWD kick in. But I hate some of the littler things. My muffler has rattled since day one, and the dealer keeps telling me nothing is wrong - though my mechanic says there is a piece of metal in the muffler. My visor keeps falling off. I have to keep a screwdriver under my seat. The air flow switch jams. The car is quite noisey because of the framework and some cheaper interior parts. The frameless windows lets water in. It scratches and scuffs easily. The bunch of little things make me think I won't do it again, though it's been reliable and nice handling.

no regrets
By Nick in Calgary on 11/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall a versatile, reliable and fun to drive car. I've had few problems except for noises from heat shields and rear hatch. Interior is cheap in places and frameless windows will let water in from car washes. On the plus side it has been cheap to maintain and no warranty fixes, and I have not babied this car. It goes through 8" of snow/mud and can pack lots of gear. It handles much better than any small SUV and is as quick as many "sports" cars with lots of low end torque. Manual transmission is notchy and gas mileage is not outstanding. Overall a great vehicle for hauling outdoor gear, camping and auction buys.

My subaru is dead :(
By Accurateimage on 10/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Countless tranny problems that SOA ignored, had them since the beginning and one the car hit 60,000 miles which is the warrenty they basically told me to kiss there rears, WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER SUBARU AGAIN FROM THE CONSTANT TRANNY PROBLEMS, THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR 7 MONTHS NOW BECAUSE I DO NOT HAVE AN EXTRA $1200 EVERY 30,000- 40,000 MILES TO FIX THE OUTPUT SHAFT PROBLEMS IN THE MANUAL TRANSMISSION WHICH IS A COMMON PROBLEM THAT SUBARU DOES NOTHING ABOUT!!!!!

Grocery getter?? NOT!!!!
By Kalibos on 06/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my Outback. Traded in a Civic EX for it. The handling is superior to the Civic and a lot of other cars in it's class. Recently went on a drive with a bunch of 2002 WRX's in the mtns. My car handled just a well as they did on the turns and curves. Granted they had more horsepower. But where the road ends the pretty little road cars have to stop and I can go on. It's a blast to go to the local offroad sites and play around with the BIG Monster truck type. Seeing the looks on their faces is truly rewarding.

Subaru Outback Sport
By Buell902 on 04/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I have a 2000 Outback Sport and it's a great car. I was going to get a 2002, I drove both standard and auto. If you want a more fun car to drive, go with the 2002, it gets an added 20 horse and 20 torq. But if you like the "Power Bulge" get a 2001 or older model, the car looks great, and it's awesome to see the look on people's face getting beat by a wagon. and off road capaple out the wazoo. great suspension, great handling. handles, and grips better than my brothers Jaguar XK8, overall this is one fun car.