Used 2000 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Reliable Car
By Blueimpreza

2000 Subaru Impreza L 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this impreza l coupe 3 months ago for my job. I have put 10k miles on it in 3 months and this car has been amazing inside and out. If you want a reliable motor the 2.2 is the way to go as long as you do your basic maintenance this car will go above 200k mark easy. This is my 2nd Subaru and i can say that for the price, this is the best investment i've made.

AWD comfort, handling sporty look, decent gas mileage,

As others mentioned cup holders where created by the engineers 2 year old.

Subaru believer
By russ

2000 Subaru Impreza RS 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 3rd Subaru and I must admit the best of the lot. The 2.5 is quick and economical. I have not had any problems with in the 130000 miles I have on it. I just had to replace the timing belt and water pump and one rear bearing in 10 years. I wish you could put on hydraulics to lift it off the ground more in the winter. Too much snow and I have problems. I trained two kids how to drive a manual in duluth, mn which is full of hills and the clutch held up till last spring. I still get looks from some people when I drive by.

The sound system in it and just the pick up when I need to have it to pass or just get out of the way of things.

The cup holder was not the best place and I see in later models it has been moved.

RIP at 261,000 miles
By MileHighMotorist

2000 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Dead due to a broken timing belt at 261,000 original miles (entirely my fault: I only only replaced the timing belt twice & I ignored the squealing belt for a week before it broke). Remarkably good condition at death, considering what I'd put it through over the years -- who knows how many miles I'd have gotten if I'd checked out that squealing belt? Only two serious flaws in my opinion: The clutch cable snapped TWICE during ownership (once during a blizzard!), and too little ground clearance, particularly in front (an old Toyota Tercel EZ I'd previously owned was actually much better on rough backroads than the Subaru). Overall this car is a solid winner, though, despite a few complaints.

A remarkably durable vehicle for the most part. Zippy performance (2.2L engine & manual transmission) and excellent handling for such a cheap vehicle. Excellent visibility & driving position.

Clutch cable problems and warped rotors are too common. No indicator showing if & when the AWD kicks in-- it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels start to slip. Body style of the 2000 L wagon is particularly ugly: Like a stretched- out old AMC Pacer! Who digs that look? Nobody!

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Great handling, good acceleration, long legs on the highway, built-in roof rack, sound of the boxer in 5th gear.

Wheel bearing longevity, clutch actuator assembly, factory battery, moisture resistance of ignition, A/C longevity, warping disc rotors, corroding disc rotors, better cup holders, intrusion of rear suspension into cargo area.

Underpowered but reliable - easy drive
By Neil

2000 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

This car is very reliable. That was part of the reason I bought it in the first place. It will hug any surface and get you out of a tight spot if caught on any loose surface.

Handling is hard to beat. Visibility all round is good although front pillars are a bit too far forward blocking signals from other cars changing lanes. Cruise control works very well.

The design of the rear doors needed improving as they often had a pointy bit that jutted into the tummy when opening. Headrests were lousy. Automatic transmission works well but makes for a badly underpowered unit. Don't expect to overtake in a hurry. Remote control only works when next to car.