Used 2000 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Impreza

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

MY00 2.5RS GC6 Review
By Cameron

2000 Subaru Impreza RS 4dr Sedan AWD

Let me preface this review by saying this is quite possibly the best AWD car ever made. It is so well buttoned up it's almost too good to be true.

I am a car enthusiast and a researcher. Before I bought this car, I made sure to research every possible make and model with the features I was looking for, as well as go and drive them. I drove the Blobeye/Hawkeye STI's, Evo 7-10 Lancers, and Mazdaspeed 3 and 6. I was looking for a reliable, safe, fun, AWD, 5/6MT, family-friendly, affordable four-door sports car. It's a tall order, but it's exactly what I got out of my 2.5RS. Sure, you can definitely find a faster car, but I haven't been in a car that pulls the same amount of G's in the corners - not to mention Subarus are like legos; if you want you can drop an STI engine in it for a really affordable sum. I was surprised just how much I love the N/A EJ251 that comes stock in the 2.5RS.

If you are looking into this car, you know what you want. If you want the same thing I did, this is the car for you. There are a few cons of course; there's a bit of wind noise/vibration, and the interior is a bit lackluster. Those are my only complaints, and both of those can be fixed with a little deadening materiel, some higher quality fabrics, and some custom bits.

I didn't want to make this review long, so in conclusion, everything about this car is about as perfect as you can get.

Reliable Car
By Blueimpreza

2000 Subaru Impreza L 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this impreza l coupe 3 months ago for my job. I have put 10k miles on it in 3 months and this car has been amazing inside and out. If you want a reliable motor the 2.2 is the way to go as long as you do your basic maintenance this car will go above 200k mark easy. This is my 2nd Subaru and i can say that for the price, this is the best investment i've made.

AWD comfort, handling sporty look, decent gas mileage,

As others mentioned cup holders where created by the engineers 2 year old.

Subaru believer
By russ

2000 Subaru Impreza RS 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my 3rd Subaru and I must admit the best of the lot. The 2.5 is quick and economical. I have not had any problems with in the 130000 miles I have on it. I just had to replace the timing belt and water pump and one rear bearing in 10 years. I wish you could put on hydraulics to lift it off the ground more in the winter. Too much snow and I have problems. I trained two kids how to drive a manual in duluth, mn which is full of hills and the clutch held up till last spring. I still get looks from some people when I drive by.

The sound system in it and just the pick up when I need to have it to pass or just get out of the way of things.

The cup holder was not the best place and I see in later models it has been moved.

RIP at 261,000 miles
By MileHighMotorist

2000 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Dead due to a broken timing belt at 261,000 original miles (entirely my fault: I only only replaced the timing belt twice & I ignored the squealing belt for a week before it broke). Remarkably good condition at death, considering what I'd put it through over the years -- who knows how many miles I'd have gotten if I'd checked out that squealing belt? Only two serious flaws in my opinion: The clutch cable snapped TWICE during ownership (once during a blizzard!), and too little ground clearance, particularly in front (an old Toyota Tercel EZ I'd previously owned was actually much better on rough backroads than the Subaru). Overall this car is a solid winner, though, despite a few complaints.

A remarkably durable vehicle for the most part. Zippy performance (2.2L engine & manual transmission) and excellent handling for such a cheap vehicle. Excellent visibility & driving position.

Clutch cable problems and warped rotors are too common. No indicator showing if & when the AWD kicks in-- it's a rear-wheel drive vehicle until the rear wheels start to slip. Body style of the 2000 L wagon is particularly ugly: Like a stretched- out old AMC Pacer! Who digs that look? Nobody!

Fun to drive but not very reliable
By Eriks

2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've certainly enjoyed driving this car but the frequency of return visits to repair the same items over and over has ensured that we are very unlikely to buy another Subaru.

Great handling, good acceleration, long legs on the highway, built-in roof rack, sound of the boxer in 5th gear.

Wheel bearing longevity, clutch actuator assembly, factory battery, moisture resistance of ignition, A/C longevity, warping disc rotors, corroding disc rotors, better cup holders, intrusion of rear suspension into cargo area.