1999 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Pretty decent and fun car

1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

Pretty decent and fun car
By Jonny on

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, I like this car. I use it in snow, sand, dirt, and even low-clearance jeep trails. This has lead to blowing a couple CV boots though, which is problematic. Great traction in snow and great room for snowboards and skis and other gear inside. The hubcaps fall off easily (I lost three in about 1.5 years). I have had to put a fair amount into the repairs starting at about 75k miles, including new clutch and I think the catalytic converter is crapping out just after the 80,000 mi warranty (I have 89,000 mi on mine).

Full time AWD, power outlet in trunk, higher than average clearance, pretty decent acceleration on flats & low loads, enough room for 6 footers in front and the trunk area has lots of room for gear, this is a GREAT camping/outdoors car that also work in a city with small parking spots!

More power for heavy loads and uphill freeway driving, better/smoother stock clutch (there is some problems with clutch shudder), better CV joints/kits (is this possible?), back seats a little small for tall guys, I haven't found it to be as reliable as others have, but I still recommend it!