Used 1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Impreza RS

RS 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Most Helpful|
rallybluesreview
By rallyblues

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

Great handling with decent power. Not as reliable as honda, but never quitted on me so that's good. Only had to change clutch, ABS speed sensor, and leaky radiator none of these had me call the tow truck. Love the styling of the car and it's a blast to drive.

Favorite Features

It's super light and nimble. It does exactly what you tell it to do.

Suggested Improvements

stronger clutch, should have been built with the turbo

110,000 Miles and no problems
By John

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car new in 1999. I've had the car for 6 years now and have put 110,000 miles on it with few problems. I've had to replace the battery and a few light bulbs - that's it outside of standard service. This was my first all AWD car and I'll probably never go back to either a FWD or RWD car. It's so much better in the weather. I'm planning on driving it for another 3-4 years and then maybe trading up to a new Legacy GT.

Favorite Features

AWD, MPG, dependability.

Suggested Improvements

2.0 Turbo. When I bought mine Subaru of America was telling everyone it would never come!

Great Little Compact Sports Car
By adidas2284

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've owned my Subie for the past 4 years. I bought it knowing it had a rebuilt title and had the passenger front redone, to include rewelding some of the fenderwell. I bought it w/ 92k mi and now have 133k mi on it. Its never let me down. The factory clutch had some minor defects and doesn't have a good clamping force, but I replaced that for a performance one. Its a fun ride and I love taking the long way home from work. I baby it about 80% of the time and drive it hard the rest and not once had an issue w/ the car. It has developed a small oil leak (1/2 qt between oil changes) but its not enough to matter. The only real downside is the decent MPG's and cheap looking interior.

Favorite Features

The rare style, sun roof, AWD, 2.5l boxer engine, reliability, the comfort and the amount of interior room for a 2 door compact. Its a Subie

Suggested Improvements

A little more fuel efficient engine and bit more attention to the interior. Some complain about the cup holder below the vent breaking but I've put some heavy cups in there w/ no problems, but I also don't slam them in the cup holder. AND QUIT CHANGING UP THE WIRING HARNESS EVERY FREAKING YEAR. Engine swaps are hard because of this.

I. love. this. car.
By LP

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This is my first car. I love it so much. Super reliable, never hesitates to start, even with 170K on the odometer. Turns heads, and I get complimented on it almost daily. AWD is fantastic, the RS is constantly sure-footed; it drives like it's on rails, and, being naturally aspirated and with airbags, it's parent friendly too. But rest assured kids, it's a blast to drive. More low-end torque than you'd expect. Inside it has buckets of room, I'm 6'5" and I fit without a problem. The rear seats can be inhabited by normal people, too! Classic styling in and out, my only woe is the weaksauce cupholder.

Favorite Features

Everything attached to or consisting of the suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Fix those cupholders! Usable, but weak.

Best car I ever owned!!
By heimlik99

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This was my first new car purchase and I wish I NEVER traded it in! It was so perfect. I live in the Pocono Mountains in Northeast PA and in our harsh winters and mountainous terrain I NEVER had any troubles and I was running V rated DIRECTIONAL PERFORMANCE TIRES! Unreal! I never had to shovel it out after the plows went by, oil changes were so easy (no jacking required) but the AWD did wear tires out faster than rear or front drive.

Favorite Features

FUN FUN FUN till my girlfriend took my RS away. Fun to drive, easy on the wallet in price and upkeep, rally styling and the beginning of what came to be the WRX revolution in the States.

Suggested Improvements

shifting into reverse wasn't always easy at startup and excessive starter turnover in the winter months to get things going.