Used 1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Great car for the price
By firstshadow

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked mine up used with 60k miles on the clock, haven't had any problems with it. It's been so much fun to drive, especially on road trips. Twisties are always fun to go through on highways in the rain, passing everyone left and right with the AWD.

Great all around car, getting 25-27mpg constantly, very fun to drive.

Change the single cupholder in the dash to a dual cupholder. Everything else has been addressed.

165K And Still Going Strong!
By rreihart

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle from my parents with 111k on it and I have loved owning it. It's been my favorite car to own. Where I live, I need an AWD car in the Winter and this Subaru gets me anywhere! I think it currently needs a rear wheel bearing. Other than that, I replaced the catalytic converter and a front brake caliper. Not bad. Switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get great gas mileage, 24-26 MPG.

Comfortable for someone my size (6-3, 215) and has enough room for a family of 4 comfortably plus all the stuff you need to take on a trip to keep the kids happy. So fun to drive.

I love this car, just as it is and I wouldn't change anything.

Pretty decent and fun car
By Jonny

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, I like this car. I use it in snow, sand, dirt, and even low-clearance jeep trails. This has lead to blowing a couple CV boots though, which is problematic. Great traction in snow and great room for snowboards and skis and other gear inside. The hubcaps fall off easily (I lost three in about 1.5 years). I have had to put a fair amount into the repairs starting at about 75k miles, including new clutch and I think the catalytic converter is crapping out just after the 80,000 mi warranty (I have 89,000 mi on mine).

Full time AWD, power outlet in trunk, higher than average clearance, pretty decent acceleration on flats & low loads, enough room for 6 footers in front and the trunk area has lots of room for gear, this is a GREAT camping/outdoors car that also work in a city with small parking spots!

More power for heavy loads and uphill freeway driving, better/smoother stock clutch (there is some problems with clutch shudder), better CV joints/kits (is this possible?), back seats a little small for tall guys, I haven't found it to be as reliable as others have, but I still recommend it!

Reliable and practical
By SuburuGal

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

In 8 years of ownership no mechanical problems. Not a flashy car, but reliable and practical. Good deal for the money.

All wheel drive is very steady in the snow. I was able to lug larger furniture items (shelves and boxes). They are easy to get in and out the wagon back.

I wish I got a model with a sunroof.

'99 Outback Sport
By erod45

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since it was brand new and I must say that it was a no- nonsense vehicle. There were some quibbles about the wheel bearings giving out quickly, but there is a TSB for fixing it, which to this day after 37,000 miles haven't needed to be replaced again. The clutch is a weak link in the drivetrain, so when it goes out, I HIGHLY suggest getting an aftermarket one. Other than that, the engine itself has been a jewel with only simple maintenance needed (i.e., oil change, coolant change, etc.) The car is a blast to drive, especially in the rain. Overall, a very good car with above average reliability that'll get you to where you want to go and have fun while driving it.

AWD - I haven't experienced it before, but I know I will never to back to a 2WD vehicle. Yes, you have to alter your driving style a bit when you first drive it, but the rewards are exhilarating.

Subaru should've dropped the 2.5 liter engine in the Outback Sport instead of sticking with the 2.2l. The Outback Sport caters to a totally different crowd than the 2.5RS and I feel that it would not have directly competed with it. Oh well, what do I know - I am just a consumer. :)