Used 1999 Subaru Impreza L Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Run Away - Not Recommended
By R

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

AWD, engine performance, ease of maintenance

Only fair fuel economy, needs more cup holders, very poor build quality.

Dad's Old Winter Car
By NY Kid

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My Impreza used to be my dad's old winter car, but when we moved to AZ it was given to me since my old car died. It's such a fun little car to throw around back roads, with decent power and great handling. This car's powertrain has been reliable, and has been driven cross country with no issues. The frameless windows are a pain. Three of my windows do not roll down because they are off track and the power window motors are busted. Also, the rear hatch squeaks and rattles, but nothing I can't live with. Even with these little problems, I love my car and plan on holding onto it until it dies, which should be a while, since our previous Subarus have made it over 200k and I only have 76k after 8 years.

AWD, peppy motor, wagon utility, storage bin on top of dash, reliability.

Put more dampening on the rear hatch to stop squeaking. Eliminate some road noise. Frameless windows are a terrible design. Also a bit more power wouldn't hurt, but this has been addressed with the newer turbocharged models.

Fun, Reliable Ride
By Heather

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my little red subaru. I live in a ski town in Colorado, and it has been the perfect car. It has enough pep to cruise up the large mountain passes, and the AWD is great. Throw the skis on top, the dog in the back and go! The back is large enough to pack all my playthings, without being overly large. I have never had a problem mechanically with my car. The only downfall is the snow getting packed into the wheel wells. Other than that I love my little "pepper".

The sportiness and pep.

Make the wheel wells larger, and less road noise.

Loud Ride!
By 1TheMacs

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall good car. A very loud ride on rough or wet road. Struts make a hallow rattle but do not need to be replaced.

Good power for a little car.

Too much road noise, look at strutts, weather strip on hatchback and undercoat could be thicker in wheel wells.

So many problems
By JasonDissapointed

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had this car for about 8 months. So far - new front axle, valve covers/gaskets, head gasket, ball joints, ignition wires, spark plugs. I still have problems with the A/T temp light coming on and no dealer can figure it out. The clock in the dash works only sometimes. I REALLY want to like this car, it's fun to drive when it runs correctly but unfortunetly thats not very often. I love the looks!

AWD, good headlights, styling and the pillarless doors.

Light in the cargo area, a wider opening tailgate (my 91 escort could swallow a 32 inch tv and my bike!), and improved reliability.