Used 1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Run Away - Not Recommended
By R

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

Favorite Features

AWD, engine performance, ease of maintenance

Suggested Improvements

Only fair fuel economy, needs more cup holders, very poor build quality.

Great car for the price
By firstshadow

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked mine up used with 60k miles on the clock, haven't had any problems with it. It's been so much fun to drive, especially on road trips. Twisties are always fun to go through on highways in the rain, passing everyone left and right with the AWD.

Favorite Features

Great all around car, getting 25-27mpg constantly, very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Change the single cupholder in the dash to a dual cupholder. Everything else has been addressed.

165K And Still Going Strong!
By rreihart

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle from my parents with 111k on it and I have loved owning it. It's been my favorite car to own. Where I live, I need an AWD car in the Winter and this Subaru gets me anywhere! I think it currently needs a rear wheel bearing. Other than that, I replaced the catalytic converter and a front brake caliper. Not bad. Switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get great gas mileage, 24-26 MPG.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for someone my size (6-3, 215) and has enough room for a family of 4 comfortably plus all the stuff you need to take on a trip to keep the kids happy. So fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I love this car, just as it is and I wouldn't change anything.

Pretty decent and fun car
By Jonny

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, I like this car. I use it in snow, sand, dirt, and even low-clearance jeep trails. This has lead to blowing a couple CV boots though, which is problematic. Great traction in snow and great room for snowboards and skis and other gear inside. The hubcaps fall off easily (I lost three in about 1.5 years). I have had to put a fair amount into the repairs starting at about 75k miles, including new clutch and I think the catalytic converter is crapping out just after the 80,000 mi warranty (I have 89,000 mi on mine).

Favorite Features

Full time AWD, power outlet in trunk, higher than average clearance, pretty decent acceleration on flats & low loads, enough room for 6 footers in front and the trunk area has lots of room for gear, this is a GREAT camping/outdoors car that also work in a city with small parking spots!

Suggested Improvements

More power for heavy loads and uphill freeway driving, better/smoother stock clutch (there is some problems with clutch shudder), better CV joints/kits (is this possible?), back seats a little small for tall guys, I haven't found it to be as reliable as others have, but I still recommend it!

Dad's Old Winter Car
By NY Kid

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My Impreza used to be my dad's old winter car, but when we moved to AZ it was given to me since my old car died. It's such a fun little car to throw around back roads, with decent power and great handling. This car's powertrain has been reliable, and has been driven cross country with no issues. The frameless windows are a pain. Three of my windows do not roll down because they are off track and the power window motors are busted. Also, the rear hatch squeaks and rattles, but nothing I can't live with. Even with these little problems, I love my car and plan on holding onto it until it dies, which should be a while, since our previous Subarus have made it over 200k and I only have 76k after 8 years.

Favorite Features

AWD, peppy motor, wagon utility, storage bin on top of dash, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Put more dampening on the rear hatch to stop squeaking. Eliminate some road noise. Frameless windows are a terrible design. Also a bit more power wouldn't hurt, but this has been addressed with the newer turbocharged models.