1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Run Away - Not Recommended
By R on 04/13/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

Great car for the price
By firstshadow on 06/15/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked mine up used with 60k miles on the clock, haven't had any problems with it. It's been so much fun to drive, especially on road trips. Twisties are always fun to go through on highways in the rain, passing everyone left and right with the AWD.

165K And Still Going Strong!
By rreihart on 06/06/08 12:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle from my parents with 111k on it and I have loved owning it. It's been my favorite car to own. Where I live, I need an AWD car in the Winter and this Subaru gets me anywhere! I think it currently needs a rear wheel bearing. Other than that, I replaced the catalytic converter and a front brake caliper. Not bad. Switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get great gas mileage, 24-26 MPG.

Pretty decent and fun car
By Jonny on 02/10/08 23:11 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, I like this car. I use it in snow, sand, dirt, and even low-clearance jeep trails. This has lead to blowing a couple CV boots though, which is problematic. Great traction in snow and great room for snowboards and skis and other gear inside. The hubcaps fall off easily (I lost three in about 1.5 years). I have had to put a fair amount into the repairs starting at about 75k miles, including new clutch and I think the catalytic converter is crapping out just after the 80,000 mi warranty (I have 89,000 mi on mine).

Dad's Old Winter Car
By NY Kid on 06/10/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

My Impreza used to be my dad's old winter car, but when we moved to AZ it was given to me since my old car died. It's such a fun little car to throw around back roads, with decent power and great handling. This car's powertrain has been reliable, and has been driven cross country with no issues. The frameless windows are a pain. Three of my windows do not roll down because they are off track and the power window motors are busted. Also, the rear hatch squeaks and rattles, but nothing I can't live with. Even with these little problems, I love my car and plan on holding onto it until it dies, which should be a while, since our previous Subarus have made it over 200k and I only have 76k after 8 years.

Reliable and practical
By SuburuGal on 02/20/07 13:17 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

In 8 years of ownership no mechanical problems. Not a flashy car, but reliable and practical. Good deal for the money.

'99 Outback Sport
By erod45 on 09/11/05 11:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I have had this car since it was brand new and I must say that it was a no- nonsense vehicle. There were some quibbles about the wheel bearings giving out quickly, but there is a TSB for fixing it, which to this day after 37,000 miles haven't needed to be replaced again. The clutch is a weak link in the drivetrain, so when it goes out, I HIGHLY suggest getting an aftermarket one. Other than that, the engine itself has been a jewel with only simple maintenance needed (i.e., oil change, coolant change, etc.) The car is a blast to drive, especially in the rain. Overall, a very good car with above average reliability that'll get you to where you want to go and have fun while driving it.

Reliability is the key
By Pinkus on 04/16/05 19:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my Outback Sport with 70k miles. I'm at about 125k now, and besides routine maintenance, the car has not cost me anything. This is exactly why I bought the car. I know that Subaru has addressed in the new OS/WRX all of the issues I had with this one (hp, wheels, etc.). That being said, I realize this car is a '99, and for what it is, I'm totally satisfied. If you don't abuse the car, you won't have any problems. Mileage is decent (mid- 20s). Interior room? I'm a drummer, and I fit my entire kit, plus a passenger! AWD? Put a set of snow tires on in the winter, and the car is unstoppable! Finally, get a set of WRX style wheels for the car, and improve the looks 100%.

Fun, Reliable Ride
By Heather on 03/15/05 12:07 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my little red subaru. I live in a ski town in Colorado, and it has been the perfect car. It has enough pep to cruise up the large mountain passes, and the AWD is great. Throw the skis on top, the dog in the back and go! The back is large enough to pack all my playthings, without being overly large. I have never had a problem mechanically with my car. The only downfall is the snow getting packed into the wheel wells. Other than that I love my little "pepper".

wOw
By pooooop on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

had this car for about 5 months and am still hooked to it.. 1st AWD car and WOW FWD SUX.. i love it cuz everyone else has a civic or a corolla and such.. this cartruly blows all those away.. very quick for a H4... its the most enjoyable subcompact out there.. simply put it 5 speed fun.. its reliable thats y i bought it at 122,000 miles (WITH A PREVIOUSLY ABUSIVE OWNER) the fuel pump went out and the indicators did also due to the previous owner messin with wires etc.. no problems since and plan on havin it for many years to come