1999 Subaru Impreza RS - Consumer Reviews

RS 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )
Great Little Compact Sports Car
By adidas2284 on 09/12/11 08:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've owned my Subie for the past 4 years. I bought it knowing it had a rebuilt title and had the passenger front redone, to include rewelding some of the fenderwell. I bought it w/ 92k mi and now have 133k mi on it. Its never let me down. The factory clutch had some minor defects and doesn't have a good clamping force, but I replaced that for a performance one. Its a fun ride and I love taking the long way home from work. I baby it about 80% of the time and drive it hard the rest and not once had an issue w/ the car. It has developed a small oil leak (1/2 qt between oil changes) but its not enough to matter. The only real downside is the decent MPG's and cheap looking interior.

I. love. this. car.
By LP on 01/14/08 17:46 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This is my first car. I love it so much. Super reliable, never hesitates to start, even with 170K on the odometer. Turns heads, and I get complimented on it almost daily. AWD is fantastic, the RS is constantly sure-footed; it drives like it's on rails, and, being naturally aspirated and with airbags, it's parent friendly too. But rest assured kids, it's a blast to drive. More low-end torque than you'd expect. Inside it has buckets of room, I'm 6'5" and I fit without a problem. The rear seats can be inhabited by normal people, too! Classic styling in and out, my only woe is the weaksauce cupholder.

110,000 Miles and no problems
By John on 08/24/05 09:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car new in 1999. I've had the car for 6 years now and have put 110,000 miles on it with few problems. I've had to replace the battery and a few light bulbs - that's it outside of standard service. This was my first all AWD car and I'll probably never go back to either a FWD or RWD car. It's so much better in the weather. I'm planning on driving it for another 3-4 years and then maybe trading up to a new Legacy GT.

Best car I ever owned!!
By heimlik99 on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This was my first new car purchase and I wish I NEVER traded it in! It was so perfect. I live in the Pocono Mountains in Northeast PA and in our harsh winters and mountainous terrain I NEVER had any troubles and I was running V rated DIRECTIONAL PERFORMANCE TIRES! Unreal! I never had to shovel it out after the plows went by, oil changes were so easy (no jacking required) but the AWD did wear tires out faster than rear or front drive.

Best all-around performer in its class
By drjeff on 05/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

On dry roads, this car is fun, safe, and forgiving. On wet or snowy roads, it is stable, predictable and almost unstoppable. In the hands of a good driver, the Subaru all wheel drive system will out-perform an SUV for far less money than an Audi or the like.

Extsreme
By exstreme on 04/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

As soon as I saw this car I knew I had to have it, it was a me car! Thought I bought it not knowing how to drive a standard I learned and now I zoom around town and it I still get rubberknecks.

rallybluesreview
By rallyblues on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

Great handling with decent power. Not as reliable as honda, but never quitted on me so that's good. Only had to change clutch, ABS speed sensor, and leaky radiator none of these had me call the tow truck. Love the styling of the car and it's a blast to drive.

Great Car!
By Zoom Zoom Zoom on 03/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've had mine for 4 years now, has 57,400 miles on it, not a single mechanical problem with the vehicle. It is a hoot to drive, very zippy. I pull a snowmobile/trailer with it very easily. I think this design looks much better than the WRX.

The Beauty of AWD
By chris shiple on 03/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This package of performance, safety, reliability, and cost can not be topped. The car is extremely fun to drive with good torque and HP numbers as well as close ratio gearing. The AWD provides excellent grip for summer fun and winter safety. I have not had one single problem with the vehicle, and I am at 37,500 enthusiastic miles.

Simply a reliable, fun to drive car
By Proud_Scuby_Owner on 03/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've owned my car for 4 years now and it has been such a great car! Handles beautifully, fast, relaiable, great gas mileage and...... oh yeah, FUN!!!