1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Run Away - Not Recommended
By R on 04/13/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

Dad's Old Winter Car
By NY Kid on 06/10/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

My Impreza used to be my dad's old winter car, but when we moved to AZ it was given to me since my old car died. It's such a fun little car to throw around back roads, with decent power and great handling. This car's powertrain has been reliable, and has been driven cross country with no issues. The frameless windows are a pain. Three of my windows do not roll down because they are off track and the power window motors are busted. Also, the rear hatch squeaks and rattles, but nothing I can't live with. Even with these little problems, I love my car and plan on holding onto it until it dies, which should be a while, since our previous Subarus have made it over 200k and I only have 76k after 8 years.

Fun, Reliable Ride
By Heather on 03/15/05 12:07 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my little red subaru. I live in a ski town in Colorado, and it has been the perfect car. It has enough pep to cruise up the large mountain passes, and the AWD is great. Throw the skis on top, the dog in the back and go! The back is large enough to pack all my playthings, without being overly large. I have never had a problem mechanically with my car. The only downfall is the snow getting packed into the wheel wells. Other than that I love my little "pepper".

Loud Ride!
By 1TheMacs on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall good car. A very loud ride on rough or wet road. Struts make a hallow rattle but do not need to be replaced.

So many problems
By JasonDissapointed on 06/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had this car for about 8 months. So far - new front axle, valve covers/gaskets, head gasket, ball joints, ignition wires, spark plugs. I still have problems with the A/T temp light coming on and no dealer can figure it out. The clock in the dash works only sometimes. I REALLY want to like this car, it's fun to drive when it runs correctly but unfortunetly thats not very often. I love the looks!

1999 impreza l wagon dbctmc
By dbctmc on 03/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

great car for those who drive fairly long distances in mountainous or snow belt areas. very reliable. dont expect any more than 30 mpg. rear seat has very little leg room even with average size person in front seat. pretty good cargo room, esp. with rear seat folded.

fun
By Aaron on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

This is a wonderful car for around town as well as extended trips. The gas mileage is terrific and it has very good storge for a compact because of the foldable back seats. There is not much people room but that was never a problem for me (5'9") . I think the looks are great although I have a thing for wagons. Many accessories are availible and the factory roof rack is very funcinal, tested often with kayaks, unlike other vehicles. The AWD works wonderful in the snow and ice and will get you where you need to be. overall a very good car for the price. the only short comming I've seen is the brakes which are noisy but seem to work fine.

fun
By aaron on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)