1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Lovely Car
By scottswrx on 05/03/12 21:28 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

I drive a 99 Wrx Impreza, been a car enthusiast since the age of 14 and have owned many cars and this would be one of the best. Love it...Love it....Love it!! What more can I say, i'm now wanting an STI Coupe.

Built to last 1999 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
By angelo16 on 03/09/12 07:51 AM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

I live in the province of Alberta in Canada and we get A LOT of snow. I purchased with 144,000 KM ( now has 151,000km.) From the months of dec to March the snow can get to as much as 1.5-2 feet in one fall. That being said the AWD is amazing. I have so much fun driving this in the winter. When winter falls here people hate driving cause a lot of our vehicles are FWD or RWD. I sometimes make and excuse to drive somewhere just so I can rip around and take corners with the amazing AWD. The only problem I have had is the bolt holding the alternator busted so i was running on battery for a while and no power steering. Easy enough I just purchased a stainless steel one and it was fixed

Great Little Compact Sports Car
By adidas2284 on 09/12/11 08:04 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've owned my Subie for the past 4 years. I bought it knowing it had a rebuilt title and had the passenger front redone, to include rewelding some of the fenderwell. I bought it w/ 92k mi and now have 133k mi on it. Its never let me down. The factory clutch had some minor defects and doesn't have a good clamping force, but I replaced that for a performance one. Its a fun ride and I love taking the long way home from work. I baby it about 80% of the time and drive it hard the rest and not once had an issue w/ the car. It has developed a small oil leak (1/2 qt between oil changes) but its not enough to matter. The only real downside is the decent MPG's and cheap looking interior.

Run Away - Not Recommended
By R on 04/13/09 18:30 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

Great car for the price
By firstshadow on 06/15/08 18:40 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked mine up used with 60k miles on the clock, haven't had any problems with it. It's been so much fun to drive, especially on road trips. Twisties are always fun to go through on highways in the rain, passing everyone left and right with the AWD.

165K And Still Going Strong!
By rreihart on 06/06/08 12:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this vehicle from my parents with 111k on it and I have loved owning it. It's been my favorite car to own. Where I live, I need an AWD car in the Winter and this Subaru gets me anywhere! I think it currently needs a rear wheel bearing. Other than that, I replaced the catalytic converter and a front brake caliper. Not bad. Switched it to Mobil 1 synthetic oil and get great gas mileage, 24-26 MPG.

Pretty decent and fun car
By Jonny on 02/10/08 23:11 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Overall, I like this car. I use it in snow, sand, dirt, and even low-clearance jeep trails. This has lead to blowing a couple CV boots though, which is problematic. Great traction in snow and great room for snowboards and skis and other gear inside. The hubcaps fall off easily (I lost three in about 1.5 years). I have had to put a fair amount into the repairs starting at about 75k miles, including new clutch and I think the catalytic converter is crapping out just after the 80,000 mi warranty (I have 89,000 mi on mine).

Great Little Car
By Jim on 01/18/08 12:34 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

This vehicle has been very reliable. There have been no major problems. It still has the original muffler and battery. It burns no oil and is great on gas. However, it is a bit under powered.

I. love. this. car.
By LP on 01/14/08 17:46 PM (PST)

1999 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This is my first car. I love it so much. Super reliable, never hesitates to start, even with 170K on the odometer. Turns heads, and I get complimented on it almost daily. AWD is fantastic, the RS is constantly sure-footed; it drives like it's on rails, and, being naturally aspirated and with airbags, it's parent friendly too. But rest assured kids, it's a blast to drive. More low-end torque than you'd expect. Inside it has buckets of room, I'm 6'5" and I fit without a problem. The rear seats can be inhabited by normal people, too! Classic styling in and out, my only woe is the weaksauce cupholder.

Dad's Old Winter Car
By NY Kid on 06/10/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

My Impreza used to be my dad's old winter car, but when we moved to AZ it was given to me since my old car died. It's such a fun little car to throw around back roads, with decent power and great handling. This car's powertrain has been reliable, and has been driven cross country with no issues. The frameless windows are a pain. Three of my windows do not roll down because they are off track and the power window motors are busted. Also, the rear hatch squeaks and rattles, but nothing I can't live with. Even with these little problems, I love my car and plan on holding onto it until it dies, which should be a while, since our previous Subarus have made it over 200k and I only have 76k after 8 years.

1 2 3 4 5 next »