Used 1999 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Lovely Car
By scottswrx

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

I drive a 99 Wrx Impreza, been a car enthusiast since the age of 14 and have owned many cars and this would be one of the best. Love it...Love it....Love it!! What more can I say, i'm now wanting an STI Coupe.

Very versatile.

They could have made the 99 cockpit a little more sportier looking. A stronger gearbox would've been better.

Built to last 1999 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
By angelo16

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

I live in the province of Alberta in Canada and we get A LOT of snow. I purchased with 144,000 KM ( now has 151,000km.) From the months of dec to March the snow can get to as much as 1.5-2 feet in one fall. That being said the AWD is amazing. I have so much fun driving this in the winter. When winter falls here people hate driving cause a lot of our vehicles are FWD or RWD. I sometimes make and excuse to drive somewhere just so I can rip around and take corners with the amazing AWD. The only problem I have had is the bolt holding the alternator busted so i was running on battery for a while and no power steering. Easy enough I just purchased a stainless steel one and it was fixed

Im not so picky about vehicles. This thing satisfies my needs for now. The AWD has got to be the best thing for me right now. The handling and the torque is pretty nice for this small car. All in all I like it. The reliability is awesome. nothing has majoy yet.

More HP( everyone wants that tho) Cup holder is lame. If you have coffee and you wanna drift in the snow be prepared to have your dash and shift area spilled with coffee. because I did that and forgot about the cup of starbucks in the holder. - I wish the rear seats fold down. I am also a snowboard instructor so I can only fit 1 in the back.

Great Little Compact Sports Car
By adidas2284

1999 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I've owned my Subie for the past 4 years. I bought it knowing it had a rebuilt title and had the passenger front redone, to include rewelding some of the fenderwell. I bought it w/ 92k mi and now have 133k mi on it. Its never let me down. The factory clutch had some minor defects and doesn't have a good clamping force, but I replaced that for a performance one. Its a fun ride and I love taking the long way home from work. I baby it about 80% of the time and drive it hard the rest and not once had an issue w/ the car. It has developed a small oil leak (1/2 qt between oil changes) but its not enough to matter. The only real downside is the decent MPG's and cheap looking interior.

The rare style, sun roof, AWD, 2.5l boxer engine, reliability, the comfort and the amount of interior room for a 2 door compact. Its a Subie

A little more fuel efficient engine and bit more attention to the interior. Some complain about the cup holder below the vent breaking but I've put some heavy cups in there w/ no problems, but I also don't slam them in the cup holder. AND QUIT CHANGING UP THE WIRING HARNESS EVERY FREAKING YEAR. Engine swaps are hard because of this.

Run Away - Not Recommended
By R

1999 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Avoid all Imprezas and buy a Legacy if you are going to buy a Subaru - the build quality is substantially better. I have had this car for 5 years and babied it, yet it still continues to fall apart. The rear wheel bearings have been replaced 3 times, the power window regulator died, the steering column coupler fell apart, the struts and alternator died at 70K, the engine was replaced at 100K after a bad rod knock developed (after fixing a head gasket leak), the CV joints have torn repeatedly, etc. What a lemon! This car only has 100K on it, but is constantly breaking down. The AWD system and overall pep of the engine are great, but avoid Imprezas due to their poor build quality.

AWD, engine performance, ease of maintenance

Only fair fuel economy, needs more cup holders, very poor build quality.

Great car for the price
By firstshadow

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I picked mine up used with 60k miles on the clock, haven't had any problems with it. It's been so much fun to drive, especially on road trips. Twisties are always fun to go through on highways in the rain, passing everyone left and right with the AWD.

Great all around car, getting 25-27mpg constantly, very fun to drive.

Change the single cupholder in the dash to a dual cupholder. Everything else has been addressed.