1998 Subaru Impreza L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

1998 Impreza Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Sort Reviews by

First Car, First Love
By cameronkelly82

1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

After months of reading the reviews on Edmunds my parents had enough and bought the Outback without my knowledge. I was mad for all of a second. I truly loved this car. Purchased at 135,000 I took it to 180,000 without a single problem be for it was murdered in a hit and run accident. Gas milage averaged 23 mpg's consistently. I had the joy of taking it to the snow ALOT, and not a single problem. If this car didn't get hit I would be giving it to my kids (I'm 21). A great first car the roof racks are great for surfboards, the seats lay flat for the snowboards, Mt. Bikes, Skimboards, dogs, and naps if you lay diagonally. If you have the chance this is a great first car!

Favorite Features

Gas milage, Versatility, AWD, Reliability, Price, Ability to go anywhere, Hood scoop (that does nothing).

Suggested Improvements

A little more speed would be great for fun and getting on the freeways in L.A. Other than that absolutely nothing.

Oil Leak
By thunder22

1998 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

When I purchased this car I knew it had an oil leak but for a 1998 with 57,000 I didn't car. I've had it for four years now and have hardly had any problems with it. I didn't have the money when i bought it to repair the oil leak (broke college kid) Finally got it fixed four yrs later and it has 105,000 wheel bearings had to be replaced but other than that i haven't had to invest much into it. for 18 yrs old she runs great!! And i plan on keeping her till she dies

Winter wonderful
By scott120

1998 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

Most of the year this car is a reliable, economical smart choice, but every time it snows it becomes one of the best cars on the road. The all manual control (no traction control, no ABS) feels fantastic, it's still stable but really playful.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

Little shy on power

My ScoobyRoo
By Matt

1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

This is my first Subaru and I am extremely satisfied with it. I bought the car with 145K but with a rebuilt engine and it has never given me problems at all. the cars solid frame and design just make it own the road and not let go no matter how hard you try. the car is amazing and i plan on keeping it for a very long time. She's 10 years old but still races like a champ.

Favorite Features

The AWD in the winter makes this car the best thing I have ever driven. especially doing AWD donuts and for people that know what I'm talking about know how much fun it is to make your friends sick. And the car is amazing off the line in a drag race

Suggested Improvements

I love the sound of mine with its exhaust redone. Borla headers and an injen intake make the car roar. Very intimidating. Lowering springs also help the car grip the road even more. I've taken highway on ramps at close to 80 and the body does not shift on me

Wheel Bearings
By Ian Tummon

1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used with 37,000 miles, left rear wheel bearings have been replaced twice. The Subaru dealer did not change belts as specified in the user's manual. Nonetheless, the car has done well in Minnesota winter driving. Some rust left rear. Intermittent warning light Airbags

Favorite Features

AWD

As reliable as death and taxes
By denisen

1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

My third Subaru. The all wheel drive is a dream. If you mess up and go around a corner too fast in the rain, this car holds on to the ground like it has CLAWS. Short of recklessness, it just does not skid. We bought it used with 30K miles and have put 15K more on it. It has only had routine maintainance (includidng new belts) and it has never faltered. With it's styling my friends thought it was new, not six years old! I guess that's good, because I'll be driving it for many more years. A little too much road noise is it's only fault.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Freakishly reliable

Suggested Improvements

Seat covers were a must since mine had ugly upholsetry.

My Impreza
By Dag Saunders

1998 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

This car has been a winner from day 1. I am most impressed by the extreme stability at high speeds. The faster she goes the tighter she holds the road. The all-wheel-drive system is a gem and should be adopted by all cars on the road. This is a well engineered and well built automobile that Subaru can be very proud of.

Favorite Features

The all-wheel-drive system, and the relatively small turning circle. I also like the all around clear view with minimal blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Add seals to prevent water from getting behind the mirrors. Ours iced up and caused the mirror to break. The heating/air conditioning system is marginal at best and could use some improvement. The wire attachments to the rear speakers could be made a little more rugged.

"Fun in the Snow"
By M.Pascale

1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Until i purchased this vehicle, i was petrified to drive in the snow! What a delight and relief to know that my impreza has the ability to get me through anything a tough northeast winter sends my way!!! My confidence level has improved a thousand percent!!!

Favorite Features

ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!! And a very sporty feel...this car really hugs the road!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The wheel covers are a disaster. After replacing them twice, i bought a beautiful set of alloy wheels...What a difference!!!!

1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
By dvp560d

1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

Very fast in the corners, but a little lacking on exit. It needs the new WRX's 2.0L turbo, albeit without its inherent ugliness. This is the best Impreza to date (excluding the WRX), especially in the styling department, but also in the handling department.

Favorite Features

I love to drag this car! It has awesome grip off the line and the shifts can be snapped off with a smoothness I've never experienced in any other car. The high roof makes for oodles of headroom (I would know, I'm 6'4") and the seats are superb on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust makes a loud drone at 80, which is about 3500 rpm. This car could make fantasic use of the new WRX's turbo four. The factory speakers are flimsy and produce a hollow, muffled sound.

Fun to drive!
By Evil-Mastermind

1998 Subaru Impreza RS 2dr Coupe AWD

I love my 98 Impreza 2.5RS. It's a blast to drive, and feels very solid on all sorts of terrain. The nastiest road becomes fun to drive, even in the rain. All wheel drive is an incredible bit of engineering, and you'll find out how cool it is the first time you take a corner. I've never had any engine trouble or mechanical problems of any sort, and I trust it to take me out to the middle of nowhere and get me back home safely. I strongly recommend the Impreza to anyone looking for a solid, fun car that's not a cookie-cutter version of everything else out there.

Favorite Features

Handling is the strong point of the Impreza. The unique great looks of the car are an added bonus. Fun to drive and it turns heads.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade to new performance tires to unlock full potential of this car.