1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
First Car, First Love
By cameronkelly82 on 06/20/14 19:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

After months of reading the reviews on Edmunds my parents had enough and bought the Outback without my knowledge. I was mad for all of a second. I truly loved this car. Purchased at 135,000 I took it to 180,000 without a single problem be for it was murdered in a hit and run accident. Gas milage averaged 23 mpg's consistently. I had the joy of taking it to the snow ALOT, and not a single problem. If this car didn't get hit I would be giving it to my kids (I'm 21). A great first car the roof racks are great for surfboards, the seats lay flat for the snowboards, Mt. Bikes, Skimboards, dogs, and naps if you lay diagonally. If you have the chance this is a great first car!

Wheel Bearings
By Ian Tummon on 06/04/05 00:20 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used with 37,000 miles, left rear wheel bearings have been replaced twice. The Subaru dealer did not change belts as specified in the user's manual. Nonetheless, the car has done well in Minnesota winter driving. Some rust left rear. Intermittent warning light Airbags

As reliable as death and taxes
By denisen on 07/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

My third Subaru. The all wheel drive is a dream. If you mess up and go around a corner too fast in the rain, this car holds on to the ground like it has CLAWS. Short of recklessness, it just does not skid. We bought it used with 30K miles and have put 15K more on it. It has only had routine maintainance (includidng new belts) and it has never faltered. With it's styling my friends thought it was new, not six years old! I guess that's good, because I'll be driving it for many more years. A little too much road noise is it's only fault.

"Fun in the Snow"
By M.Pascale on 04/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Until i purchased this vehicle, i was petrified to drive in the snow! What a delight and relief to know that my impreza has the ability to get me through anything a tough northeast winter sends my way!!! My confidence level has improved a thousand percent!!!

OB Sport Rocks! (But now I want a Baja)
By littlet on 08/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Great car, handles snow and ice beautifully. Never had any maintenance problems. Just had first brake job done at 75,000 miles.

my outback sport
By geo on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

beware of faulty rear bearings. had to have the left and right rear bearings replaced 3 times on each side. brought the car in to 3 different dealers: walnut creek, carlson, and stevens creek, none of which knew what they were doing. bunch of morrons. apart from this one problem the car has been great to drive.

feel confident.
By satisfied on 06/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Excellent car, vast improvement over my previous experience with lemons (Pontiacs and Fords). Lesson learned: don't buy American, no matter how patriotic you may be in this day and age. Very reliable.

More power Scottie
By Thompson on 03/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Underpowered. Okay on 2 lane highways, but too slow on pickup to pass easily on one lane highways and country roads. Very uncomfortable on drives over 2 hours. Seats need some more foam. Handling is fantastic and AWD is great in snow and ice and slush.