Used 1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

First Car, First Love
By cameronkelly82

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

After months of reading the reviews on Edmunds my parents had enough and bought the Outback without my knowledge. I was mad for all of a second. I truly loved this car. Purchased at 135,000 I took it to 180,000 without a single problem be for it was murdered in a hit and run accident. Gas milage averaged 23 mpg's consistently. I had the joy of taking it to the snow ALOT, and not a single problem. If this car didn't get hit I would be giving it to my kids (I'm 21). A great first car the roof racks are great for surfboards, the seats lay flat for the snowboards, Mt. Bikes, Skimboards, dogs, and naps if you lay diagonally. If you have the chance this is a great first car!

Favorite Features

Gas milage, Versatility, AWD, Reliability, Price, Ability to go anywhere, Hood scoop (that does nothing).

Suggested Improvements

A little more speed would be great for fun and getting on the freeways in L.A. Other than that absolutely nothing.

Oil Leak
By thunder22

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

When I purchased this car I knew it had an oil leak but for a 1998 with 57,000 I didn't car. I've had it for four years now and have hardly had any problems with it. I didn't have the money when i bought it to repair the oil leak (broke college kid) Finally got it fixed four yrs later and it has 105,000 wheel bearings had to be replaced but other than that i haven't had to invest much into it. for 18 yrs old she runs great!! And i plan on keeping her till she dies

Wheel Bearings
By Ian Tummon

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used with 37,000 miles, left rear wheel bearings have been replaced twice. The Subaru dealer did not change belts as specified in the user's manual. Nonetheless, the car has done well in Minnesota winter driving. Some rust left rear. Intermittent warning light Airbags

Favorite Features

AWD

As reliable as death and taxes
By denisen

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

My third Subaru. The all wheel drive is a dream. If you mess up and go around a corner too fast in the rain, this car holds on to the ground like it has CLAWS. Short of recklessness, it just does not skid. We bought it used with 30K miles and have put 15K more on it. It has only had routine maintainance (includidng new belts) and it has never faltered. With it's styling my friends thought it was new, not six years old! I guess that's good, because I'll be driving it for many more years. A little too much road noise is it's only fault.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive. Freakishly reliable

Suggested Improvements

Seat covers were a must since mine had ugly upholsetry.

"Fun in the Snow"
By M.Pascale

1998 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Until i purchased this vehicle, i was petrified to drive in the snow! What a delight and relief to know that my impreza has the ability to get me through anything a tough northeast winter sends my way!!! My confidence level has improved a thousand percent!!!

Favorite Features

ALL WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!! And a very sporty feel...this car really hugs the road!!!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

The wheel covers are a disaster. After replacing them twice, i bought a beautiful set of alloy wheels...What a difference!!!!