Bummed!
By Courtney on
1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD
Having read all of these reviews, I'd have to say that the car isn't being represented in full. For all the prospective buyers, keep in mind that this car requires A LOT of money, regularly. I bought this car a year ago with only 60,000 miles on it. I thought it was a blessing. About 6,000 miles into it, I began to smell burning oil. I brought it into the mechanic and it had some severe oil leaking and axle problems. Apparently oil leaks are only too common among Subarus and this was a major disappointment. I was surely not planning on spending $1000 every six months or so. My mechanic said that hopefully it will go another 12 months before another oil leak happens. Think about it. GOOD LUCK.
Favorite Features
The hatchback, and size of the car.
Suggested Improvements
More power, BETTER GAS MILEAGE! It's horrible on mpg. Better overall mechanical reliability. Make them like they used to!
By jjsteich
on 03/22/11 11:36 AM (PDT)

$1000 every six months does seem excessive, but I always recall the advice I used to get from a Volvo mechanic--when I would faint at the amounts of money I had to put out to keep a 1989 740 running--"There is a cost for every car. The new car has a monthly car payment and the older car has maintenance & upkeep. You should budget $100 per month. Some months you won't spend anything, and then you'll spend hundreds..." That would have been circa 1999/2000. Inflation hasn't forced that dollar amount up to $2000 a year, but still, you can't have a 10 year old car and NOT expect to put money into it. I have owned Chryslers, GMs, Fords, Volvos, Subarus, Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas, and Saabs. I consider my Subarus to be among the most reliable from that list. I am sorry you had a bad experience, but I think yours is the exception not the rule.