Used 1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My little red wagon.
By Mark Paquin

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car last year. It had an exhaust leak and some rust. It lasted me a year before it started having more problems. The CV shafts gave on the right side, the entire exhaust system needs replacing, and the driver's side window stopped working. The floor carpeting seemed to be falling apart. Yet, despite these problems, it runs fine and deals with any weather like a pro. I wish I could afford to fix it. I drove it through the NH Ice Storm last year with no problems whatsoever.

Good handling, nice power for a 2.2L, controls well in junky weather.

Not much to complain about. Most issues with the car were due to neglect by previous owners.

Subaru Impreza built to last
By yomom

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband, who is absolutely not into cars at all, who wouldn't know a ping from a thump, and who therefore could conceivably really run a car into the ground without even knowing it, has been driving this vehicle for 11 years now completely problem free. I make sure that all the regular maintenance is up to date, so that does help, but seriously, I think this is a super-car, to have survived this long this well. Utterly great in snow, and we're in a snow-belt area, so we really know. Fantastic car.

AWD is great. Instrument panel well-designed. Reliability is amazing.

Hopefully the stupid 1997 hubcap design has already been corrected in newer models.

Great Car
By Soriano

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this New in 97'. Since then this car has been great for us. The only thing that ever broke was the water pump and the dealership replaced it since it was their fault and still under warranty. I just changed the clutch and the car will definitely go another 100,000. If you drive and accelerate slowly I've been getting upwards of 27 MPG. Not bad for an AWD car with a lot of weight added to it because of the rear drive axle. Its a zippy little car and I love driving it. Subaru's are great. This one is awesome in the snow. I would rather drive this than my wifes Honda CR-V. I change the oil every 5000 and use high life oil since the car is getting up in miles. Great Car.

Bummed!
By Courtney

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Having read all of these reviews, I'd have to say that the car isn't being represented in full. For all the prospective buyers, keep in mind that this car requires A LOT of money, regularly. I bought this car a year ago with only 60,000 miles on it. I thought it was a blessing. About 6,000 miles into it, I began to smell burning oil. I brought it into the mechanic and it had some severe oil leaking and axle problems. Apparently oil leaks are only too common among Subarus and this was a major disappointment. I was surely not planning on spending $1000 every six months or so. My mechanic said that hopefully it will go another 12 months before another oil leak happens. Think about it. GOOD LUCK.

The hatchback, and size of the car.

More power, BETTER GAS MILEAGE! It's horrible on mpg. Better overall mechanical reliability. Make them like they used to!

Great ride!
By geebee

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used and added 60,000km in 16 months. Now have 228,000km (Aug '06) and still get GREAT fuel economy - 7.5l/100km on the highway. Really enjoy the road holding and performance. The engine can feel underpowered, but using the 5-speed well will get you around the twists pretty quickly. Very stable at highway speeds. Great commuter car.

Road holding and fuel economy.

Rear leg room.