1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews 2

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Best car for me
By Hunter on 11/08/05 21:41 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to replace a 4WD and a very fuel economic Japanese car. It does both well, but obviously compromises come from both. Good fuel economy in the Impreza, but the AWD and 2.2 hinder it a bit. I'd rather have AWD and extra power than 2 extra miles per gallon. I average 24-28 or so. On regular gas, the 28 was highway miles at about 75mph avg and the tires aired up to about 34psi (fully loaded with gear mind you). The 24-26 mpg is combined city/highway driving with the tires at a bit more "cushy" 30psi. I've owned this car for 12,000 miles and have had it 8 months. The first week I did a 2500 mile road trip, the car was a blessing.

115,000
By Tjack on 08/26/05 12:26 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Had very good luck with my Outback Sport purchased new. Had to replace the rack and pinion and other minor repairs. Suggestion -- do not let anyone but dealer replace timing chain. Having trouble with vibration at idle last 10K that I don't like. Do not like the antilock brakes, they come on if braking and I go over a bump in the road, also come on at low speed hard braking where locking brakes would work better. Other than that, very reliable, fun to drive.

A 100K Shay
By jake3_14 on 06/27/05 22:48 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

In the poem "The 100-Year Shay," a legendary horse-drawn sled performs perfectly for a century, then disintegrates. Similarly, my Outback Sport performed flawlessly for 100K miles, then required replacement of ALL the major seals, the steering rack, and cam cover caps, repainting and clearcoating of the hood scoop and vents, in addition to the normal 100K service, to the tune of $2650, half the Edmunds private-party resale value. Shame on Subaru.

What a great little car!
By roffle on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

As a first-car-owner, I guess I don't have much to compare it to, but my little Impreza is a great car, especially considering what I paid. Very comfortable drive position, leather steering wheel, very accessible instrument panel, except the cup holder. It's straight-line performance is adequate, a little better since I added a cold air intake, but its cornering capabilities are limitless, especially with my strut bar. This economy 5-door wagon hugs turns like they're going out of style. AWD is awesome, snow means nothing anymore.

A fun-to-drive wagon
By bob1701a on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

Durable/reliable/fun to drive. Repair/maintenance costs about average.

My Little Green Sub
By Rolodex on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my little subaru, it is a great first car for me. It out handles just about anything i race against. However i usually get wasted off the line because of the low amount of horses it has under the hood. I think it is a great car for a small family or even a single guy like myself. I will have my subaru until it dies on me which might be a while with the way it has been going for me. It takes turns on a dime, and the AWD is nice in the rainy weather that we have here in the Northwest. I would suggest this car to anyone that wants a smaller vehicle that can handle well and be dependable.

Not very good.
By Bud on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru cars have become very expensive to fix. Around 76,000 miles, alot had to be replaced (Oil pump, clutch, brakes...) After owning three, this will most likely be my last, I feel that Subaru has cut alot of corners and there are alot better built cars out there.

Not very good.
By bud on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

couldn't be better
By jim3328 on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I USE THIS CAR FOR FLAG CAR WORK. I BOUGHT THIS CAR OCT. 99. IT HAD 32000 MILES. IT NOW HAS 311000 MILES. THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THE RELIABILITY. THE ONLY REPAIRS ON THIS CAR HAVE BEEN AS FOLLOWS, ONE UNIVERSAL JOINT, ONE OIL SEAL, AND THE THIRD BRAKE LIGHT. I AM NOW SELLING THE CAR, BECUASE IT HAS A FIVE SPEED AND I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY LEFT LEG AND HAVE TROUBLE DRIVING IT NOW BECAUSE OF MY LEG.

Tough Car!
By WhiteWind on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Very tough little car! Goes anywhere, does just about anything in all weather including severe snow and ice storms. Been there, done that many times! Rides a tad hard on long trips over 100 miles. Excellent for zipping around town on errands or deliveries and stuff. Very reliable car! Next time I would go for the slightly larger variety (Legacy) because of my size (6'1" 245lbs) but if it was the only size available I would buy it again.