1997 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
My Little Green Sub
By Rolodex on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my little subaru, it is a great first car for me. It out handles just about anything i race against. However i usually get wasted off the line because of the low amount of horses it has under the hood. I think it is a great car for a small family or even a single guy like myself. I will have my subaru until it dies on me which might be a while with the way it has been going for me. It takes turns on a dime, and the AWD is nice in the rainy weather that we have here in the Northwest. I would suggest this car to anyone that wants a smaller vehicle that can handle well and be dependable.

Not very good.
By Bud on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Subaru cars have become very expensive to fix. Around 76,000 miles, alot had to be replaced (Oil pump, clutch, brakes...) After owning three, this will most likely be my last, I feel that Subaru has cut alot of corners and there are alot better built cars out there.

Not very good.
By bud on 10/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

couldn't be better
By jim3328 on 07/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I USE THIS CAR FOR FLAG CAR WORK. I BOUGHT THIS CAR OCT. 99. IT HAD 32000 MILES. IT NOW HAS 311000 MILES. THAT ALONE SHOULD TELL YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THE RELIABILITY. THE ONLY REPAIRS ON THIS CAR HAVE BEEN AS FOLLOWS, ONE UNIVERSAL JOINT, ONE OIL SEAL, AND THE THIRD BRAKE LIGHT. I AM NOW SELLING THE CAR, BECUASE IT HAS A FIVE SPEED AND I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH MY LEFT LEG AND HAVE TROUBLE DRIVING IT NOW BECAUSE OF MY LEG.

Tough Car!
By WhiteWind on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Very tough little car! Goes anywhere, does just about anything in all weather including severe snow and ice storms. Been there, done that many times! Rides a tad hard on long trips over 100 miles. Excellent for zipping around town on errands or deliveries and stuff. Very reliable car! Next time I would go for the slightly larger variety (Legacy) because of my size (6'1" 245lbs) but if it was the only size available I would buy it again.

not built for backroads
By Matteo on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I've replaced the axle three times. all the mechanics have told me it's a comon problem of the Outback Sport. Out where I live asphault covers only a small percentage of the terraine. I'm not going four wheeling with the thing, but it is exposed to terrain that has seriously messed it up. Other than that though the car has been great. It's fun to drive. It's the right size for me. It's got a great engine. I'm now selling the thing, but only because of the axles. If that hadn't been the case I probably would have been able to keep this car for at least 50,000 more miles.