1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
My First
By wickedawsome7 on 04/29/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to commute me around. I bought it after saving up a little money(600). Once I got past the body repairs, it ran like a top. It has been amazing through the New England weather even without anti-lock brakes. The major issue is that cars of this time have issues where they rust in the rear wheels. I think the previous owners must have gone off-roading. the only major scare I have had is replacing the speedometer sensor, and replacing the radiator cap(my mechanic thought it was the was the engine gasket, I almost junked the car.) I love this car and I will run it into the ground.

My '97 Outback Sport
By dbfrmarc on 08/21/11 23:03 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Well lets start with the fact that this is my first car but I have driven many cars before but I love this car. I can take turns down mountain passes at 85 and this car wont have a problem doing it. I dont get great mpg but my work is at the top of a mountain and so i drive up and down a mountain pass everyday so i didnt expect it to be great. All my family has replaced on it is the clutch system and a transmission bearing. Considering this car has 269,000 miles on it, im pretty damn impressed by it. We also replaced the stereo system but if you dont feel you need an extra loud stock stereo, I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone.

15 years and counting
By thomas68 on 02/24/11 12:08 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought the car new. It has never left me stranded. Have had to replace multiple CV Axles. The car has been spring leaks like crazy the last few years and I have had to replace just about all the hoses, gaskets and seals. That said it is still fun to drive and the engine runs as smoothly as the day i bought it. If you find one for sale by owner that has all the maintenance records you will probably be getting yourself a great car for around $3,000.

Very Durable Cat
By akg on 03/05/10 07:29 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had my impreza for 13 years and have had only a few problems. Currently there is an air-flow sensor issue which shuts the car down without warning - dangerous! The car handles perfectly in snow and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. I won't buy another Subaru due to initial costs - very expensive cars when compared to others in similar market.

have owned for 13 years
By gabrielle sChechter on 01/22/10 16:13 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Original owner. Car has 100k miles and have had minimal issues. Replaced tires. Biggest expense had to replace axles several years ago. Normal repairs over the years, brakes, clutch etc... Drive is fun. Mileage ok. Great in the snow. Keep on thinking of getting a new car, but this car keeps working just fine.

My little red wagon.
By Mark Paquin on 12/18/09 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car last year. It had an exhaust leak and some rust. It lasted me a year before it started having more problems. The CV shafts gave on the right side, the entire exhaust system needs replacing, and the driver's side window stopped working. The floor carpeting seemed to be falling apart. Yet, despite these problems, it runs fine and deals with any weather like a pro. I wish I could afford to fix it. I drove it through the NH Ice Storm last year with no problems whatsoever.

Subaru Impreza built to last
By yomom on 07/16/07 11:23 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

My husband, who is absolutely not into cars at all, who wouldn't know a ping from a thump, and who therefore could conceivably really run a car into the ground without even knowing it, has been driving this vehicle for 11 years now completely problem free. I make sure that all the regular maintenance is up to date, so that does help, but seriously, I think this is a super-car, to have survived this long this well. Utterly great in snow, and we're in a snow-belt area, so we really know. Fantastic car.

Great Car
By Soriano on 03/28/07 16:14 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

We bought this New in 97'. Since then this car has been great for us. The only thing that ever broke was the water pump and the dealership replaced it since it was their fault and still under warranty. I just changed the clutch and the car will definitely go another 100,000. If you drive and accelerate slowly I've been getting upwards of 27 MPG. Not bad for an AWD car with a lot of weight added to it because of the rear drive axle. Its a zippy little car and I love driving it. Subaru's are great. This one is awesome in the snow. I would rather drive this than my wifes Honda CR-V. I change the oil every 5000 and use high life oil since the car is getting up in miles. Great Car.

Bummed!
By Courtney on 02/10/07 19:17 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Having read all of these reviews, I'd have to say that the car isn't being represented in full. For all the prospective buyers, keep in mind that this car requires A LOT of money, regularly. I bought this car a year ago with only 60,000 miles on it. I thought it was a blessing. About 6,000 miles into it, I began to smell burning oil. I brought it into the mechanic and it had some severe oil leaking and axle problems. Apparently oil leaks are only too common among Subarus and this was a major disappointment. I was surely not planning on spending $1000 every six months or so. My mechanic said that hopefully it will go another 12 months before another oil leak happens. Think about it. GOOD LUCK.

Great ride!
By geebee on 08/17/06 10:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza Wagon Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought used and added 60,000km in 16 months. Now have 228,000km (Aug '06) and still get GREAT fuel economy - 7.5l/100km on the highway. Really enjoy the road holding and performance. The engine can feel underpowered, but using the 5-speed well will get you around the twists pretty quickly. Very stable at highway speeds. Great commuter car.