Used 1997 Subaru Impreza L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My First
By wickedawsome7

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to commute me around. I bought it after saving up a little money(600). Once I got past the body repairs, it ran like a top. It has been amazing through the New England weather even without anti-lock brakes. The major issue is that cars of this time have issues where they rust in the rear wheels. I think the previous owners must have gone off-roading. the only major scare I have had is replacing the speedometer sensor, and replacing the radiator cap(my mechanic thought it was the was the engine gasket, I almost junked the car.) I love this car and I will run it into the ground.

I love the cup holders, I think modern cars have obvious cup-holders and should go back to making them appear out of the woodwork. I also like being able to fold the back flat. It hugs curves like there is no tomorrow. I often find myself going 15 mph over the speed limit because I just cant tell. I loved how easy it was to replace the radio.

The rear wheel wells needed better structure so they didn't rust as badly. The rear windshield wiper also doesn't work. The seal around my door could be better and there is road noise that comes through the back panels. It has plenty of room in the front, taller passengers my find issue in the rear. I wish the rear bench split 30/60 like the seats do. I also wish that I could have a split level unlocking system.

Very Durable Cat
By akg

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had my impreza for 13 years and have had only a few problems. Currently there is an air-flow sensor issue which shuts the car down without warning - dangerous! The car handles perfectly in snow and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. I won't buy another Subaru due to initial costs - very expensive cars when compared to others in similar market.

AWD great.

My little red wagon.
By Mark Paquin

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car last year. It had an exhaust leak and some rust. It lasted me a year before it started having more problems. The CV shafts gave on the right side, the entire exhaust system needs replacing, and the driver's side window stopped working. The floor carpeting seemed to be falling apart. Yet, despite these problems, it runs fine and deals with any weather like a pro. I wish I could afford to fix it. I drove it through the NH Ice Storm last year with no problems whatsoever.

Good handling, nice power for a 2.2L, controls well in junky weather.

Not much to complain about. Most issues with the car were due to neglect by previous owners.

What a great little car!
By roffle

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

As a first-car-owner, I guess I don't have much to compare it to, but my little Impreza is a great car, especially considering what I paid. Very comfortable drive position, leather steering wheel, very accessible instrument panel, except the cup holder. It's straight-line performance is adequate, a little better since I added a cold air intake, but its cornering capabilities are limitless, especially with my strut bar. This economy 5-door wagon hugs turns like they're going out of style. AWD is awesome, snow means nothing anymore.

Drive position, leather steering wheel, instrument panel, all-wheel drive, trunkspace, folding rear-seats, basic yet stylish interior, engine roar, subtle spoiler and sporty roof rack. Front end is very aggressive looking.

Cup holder, rear legroom (though what should I care, I'm never back there :), alloy wheels would've been nice... gold ones... :), and a sunroof is an option on the 2.5RS, why not the 2.2wagon? The rear is borderline ugly.

A fun-to-drive wagon
By bob1701a

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Durable/reliable/fun to drive. Repair/maintenance costs about average.

Full time All Wheel Drive-handles great in bad weather.

Needs about 40-50 more horsepower. Cup holder stinks. Back seat too small for anyone over 5'.