1997 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
My First
By wickedawsome7 on 04/29/13 19:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to commute me around. I bought it after saving up a little money(600). Once I got past the body repairs, it ran like a top. It has been amazing through the New England weather even without anti-lock brakes. The major issue is that cars of this time have issues where they rust in the rear wheels. I think the previous owners must have gone off-roading. the only major scare I have had is replacing the speedometer sensor, and replacing the radiator cap(my mechanic thought it was the was the engine gasket, I almost junked the car.) I love this car and I will run it into the ground.

Very Durable Cat
By akg on 03/05/10 07:29 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had my impreza for 13 years and have had only a few problems. Currently there is an air-flow sensor issue which shuts the car down without warning - dangerous! The car handles perfectly in snow and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. I won't buy another Subaru due to initial costs - very expensive cars when compared to others in similar market.

My little red wagon.
By Mark Paquin on 12/18/09 19:31 PM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car last year. It had an exhaust leak and some rust. It lasted me a year before it started having more problems. The CV shafts gave on the right side, the entire exhaust system needs replacing, and the driver's side window stopped working. The floor carpeting seemed to be falling apart. Yet, despite these problems, it runs fine and deals with any weather like a pro. I wish I could afford to fix it. I drove it through the NH Ice Storm last year with no problems whatsoever.

What a great little car!
By roffle on 07/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

As a first-car-owner, I guess I don't have much to compare it to, but my little Impreza is a great car, especially considering what I paid. Very comfortable drive position, leather steering wheel, very accessible instrument panel, except the cup holder. It's straight-line performance is adequate, a little better since I added a cold air intake, but its cornering capabilities are limitless, especially with my strut bar. This economy 5-door wagon hugs turns like they're going out of style. AWD is awesome, snow means nothing anymore.

A fun-to-drive wagon
By bob1701a on 01/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Durable/reliable/fun to drive. Repair/maintenance costs about average.