Used 1997 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

My First
By wickedawsome7

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car to commute me around. I bought it after saving up a little money(600). Once I got past the body repairs, it ran like a top. It has been amazing through the New England weather even without anti-lock brakes. The major issue is that cars of this time have issues where they rust in the rear wheels. I think the previous owners must have gone off-roading. the only major scare I have had is replacing the speedometer sensor, and replacing the radiator cap(my mechanic thought it was the was the engine gasket, I almost junked the car.) I love this car and I will run it into the ground.

Favorite Features

I love the cup holders, I think modern cars have obvious cup-holders and should go back to making them appear out of the woodwork. I also like being able to fold the back flat. It hugs curves like there is no tomorrow. I often find myself going 15 mph over the speed limit because I just cant tell. I loved how easy it was to replace the radio.

Suggested Improvements

The rear wheel wells needed better structure so they didn't rust as badly. The rear windshield wiper also doesn't work. The seal around my door could be better and there is road noise that comes through the back panels. It has plenty of room in the front, taller passengers my find issue in the rear. I wish the rear bench split 30/60 like the seats do. I also wish that I could have a split level unlocking system.

My '97 Outback Sport
By dbfrmarc

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Well lets start with the fact that this is my first car but I have driven many cars before but I love this car. I can take turns down mountain passes at 85 and this car wont have a problem doing it. I dont get great mpg but my work is at the top of a mountain and so i drive up and down a mountain pass everyday so i didnt expect it to be great. All my family has replaced on it is the clutch system and a transmission bearing. Considering this car has 269,000 miles on it, im pretty damn impressed by it. We also replaced the stereo system but if you dont feel you need an extra loud stock stereo, I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone.

Favorite Features

Handles turns like there's no tomorrow

15 years and counting
By thomas68

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought the car new. It has never left me stranded. Have had to replace multiple CV Axles. The car has been spring leaks like crazy the last few years and I have had to replace just about all the hoses, gaskets and seals. That said it is still fun to drive and the engine runs as smoothly as the day i bought it. If you find one for sale by owner that has all the maintenance records you will probably be getting yourself a great car for around $3,000.

Very Durable Cat
By akg

1997 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I've had my impreza for 13 years and have had only a few problems. Currently there is an air-flow sensor issue which shuts the car down without warning - dangerous! The car handles perfectly in snow and gets surprisingly good gas mileage. I won't buy another Subaru due to initial costs - very expensive cars when compared to others in similar market.

Favorite Features

AWD great.

have owned for 13 years
By gabrielle sChechter

1997 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4dr Wagon AWD

Original owner. Car has 100k miles and have had minimal issues. Replaced tires. Biggest expense had to replace axles several years ago. Normal repairs over the years, brakes, clutch etc... Drive is fun. Mileage ok. Great in the snow. Keep on thinking of getting a new car, but this car keeps working just fine.