Used 1996 Subaru Impreza Outback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

1996 Outback 4dr Impreza wagon
By RN

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this subie for $1700.00 with 175,000 miles. The car now has 204,000 miles. Winter force tires and this car will out run any 4wd truck in the snow. I've done brake work, timing belt, some rust is showing over the rear tires and needs repair. This Impreza now needs two new rear struts (cost 500) and the transmission has a bearing going, cost 1000 with a new clutch kit. I might do the repair, I hate car payments. To tell if a (manual) transmission bearing is on its way out, start the car, put the trany in neutral, push in the clutch, if the motor at idle is quiet with the clutch engaged compared too the idle being noisy with the clutch disengaged, you might have a bearing starting to go.

Favorite Features

AWD

Suggested Improvements

None

10 yeas of excellent service
By david knuff

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car as a college graduation gift in spring of 1996. It has been a reliable workhorse since. It has taken the abuse of Midwestern snow and ice, and well as tackled storms in Colorado. I just passed 144,000 miles this week. I would recommend a Subaru to anyone who values quality and reliability.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive!

Suggested Improvements

Only thing is that I would like a full size wagon for more room.

I d Do It Again
By ggcarlo4

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my impreza outback. Have had no real problems to speak of. The only thing on its way out is the radio. Great in the snow good mileage has been a super little car

Favorite Features

all wheel drive....good mileage

Suggested Improvements

Mileage can always be better

My Impreza Outback
By Danjen98

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have not had any problems with my 1996 Impreza since I bought it off the show room floor 8 1/2 years ago. In Vriginia with the snow. Having AWD is a real must. I am considering going to a newer Subaru and may put this one on the market. It will be tough. The only real complaint I have is that the tires wear out quicker and the road noise can be loud at times.

Favorite Features

AWD Cornering ability Reliability

Suggested Improvements

road noise tire wear gas mileage

Numbers don't always tell the story
By BerkeleyNut

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

My overall score may not be as high as others, but I don't love it any less. Overall, great value, fun car, and great features. I'd buy it again - but not the automatic. Good and firm handling, with high ground-clearance for snowpack or dirt roads. 2.2 is peppy, but the automatic limits performance. High torque makes up for avg horsepower. Real killer with auto is 90-10 AWD bias. Manual is 50-50. Mild understeer coming into a turn but neutral steer coming out. As bad as 16 mpg when driving aggressively in the city! Noticed from exhaust smell and smog test results that my air-fuel runs rich. Overall 20+ mpg isn't bad.

Favorite Features

AWD, sport suspension -> extremely fun to drive. Versatility of folding seats, roof racks. Interior layout (superior to even 02-03 WRX). High quality vinyl. VERY reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Stock stereo was terrible. Putting drinks in cupholders makes climate control inaccessible. If you buy a used Impreza, look for sets of new WRX wheels and tires for $400 on eBay. Best value upgrade you could do to a 2.2 Impreza for looks and handling.