Used 1996 Subaru Impreza Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Most reliable car I've owned
By Silent

1996 Subaru Impreza Brighton 2dr Coupe AWD

My little Brighton just turned over 270,000 miles. I purchased this car a few years back with 180,000 miles; thought it would make a great car for my kid. When she left for college, I kept driving it. Great commuter car.

Goes through snow like a sled dog on steroids. Excellent build quality. Extreme reliability.

None. For the money (4,000 when I bought it) I can't imagine getting a better buy.

1996 Outback 4dr Impreza wagon
By RN

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this subie for $1700.00 with 175,000 miles. The car now has 204,000 miles. Winter force tires and this car will out run any 4wd truck in the snow. I've done brake work, timing belt, some rust is showing over the rear tires and needs repair. This Impreza now needs two new rear struts (cost 500) and the transmission has a bearing going, cost 1000 with a new clutch kit. I might do the repair, I hate car payments. To tell if a (manual) transmission bearing is on its way out, start the car, put the trany in neutral, push in the clutch, if the motor at idle is quiet with the clutch engaged compared too the idle being noisy with the clutch disengaged, you might have a bearing starting to go.

AWD

None

My Little Tank
By Jackie

1996 Subaru Impreza L 2dr Coupe AWD

This car has been so reliable and hard working. The basic upkeep is all it has ever needed. When it snowed and the Mustang Cobra couldn't make it out of the driveway and the Mitsubishi Mirage slip, slided away.. the trusty Impreza just plowed on through! We purchased the basic, basic model... no frills and it just keeps on going. Always getting us where we need and want to go safely and with a minimum of fuss and bother. I am now looking to replace my 2001 Mitsubishi with a new Impreza... although I will go a little heavier on the "extras" this time.

4WD, solid, sturdy feel and handling.

Awesome
By phredsir

1996 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my first car and I love it. I have never had any troubles with it I would recommend looking for a Subaru it you are in the market for a new car.

Speed, cold air, fun to drive, AWD.

None.

10 yeas of excellent service
By david knuff

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car as a college graduation gift in spring of 1996. It has been a reliable workhorse since. It has taken the abuse of Midwestern snow and ice, and well as tackled storms in Colorado. I just passed 144,000 miles this week. I would recommend a Subaru to anyone who values quality and reliability.

All wheel drive!

Only thing is that I would like a full size wagon for more room.