1996 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Most reliable car I've owned
By Silent on 12/01/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Impreza Brighton 2dr Coupe AWD

My little Brighton just turned over 270,000 miles. I purchased this car a few years back with 180,000 miles; thought it would make a great car for my kid. When she left for college, I kept driving it. Great commuter car.

1996 Outback 4dr Impreza wagon
By RN on 05/16/10 08:42 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

Bought this subie for $1700.00 with 175,000 miles. The car now has 204,000 miles. Winter force tires and this car will out run any 4wd truck in the snow. I've done brake work, timing belt, some rust is showing over the rear tires and needs repair. This Impreza now needs two new rear struts (cost 500) and the transmission has a bearing going, cost 1000 with a new clutch kit. I might do the repair, I hate car payments. To tell if a (manual) transmission bearing is on its way out, start the car, put the trany in neutral, push in the clutch, if the motor at idle is quiet with the clutch engaged compared too the idle being noisy with the clutch disengaged, you might have a bearing starting to go.

My Little Tank
By Jackie on 07/21/09 10:19 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Impreza L 2dr Coupe AWD

This car has been so reliable and hard working. The basic upkeep is all it has ever needed. When it snowed and the Mustang Cobra couldn't make it out of the driveway and the Mitsubishi Mirage slip, slided away.. the trusty Impreza just plowed on through! We purchased the basic, basic model... no frills and it just keeps on going. Always getting us where we need and want to go safely and with a minimum of fuss and bother. I am now looking to replace my 2001 Mitsubishi with a new Impreza... although I will go a little heavier on the "extras" this time.

Awesome
By phredsir on 12/01/07 13:16 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

This is my first car and I love it. I have never had any troubles with it I would recommend looking for a Subaru it you are in the market for a new car.

10 yeas of excellent service
By david knuff on 11/26/05 13:35 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I got this car as a college graduation gift in spring of 1996. It has been a reliable workhorse since. It has taken the abuse of Midwestern snow and ice, and well as tackled storms in Colorado. I just passed 144,000 miles this week. I would recommend a Subaru to anyone who values quality and reliability.

Perfect so far
By scoob5555 on 05/01/05 13:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Impreza LX 2dr Coupe AWD

Bought this to replace my Acura 3.2 CL for my commutes - and possibly to turn it into my autocross car, too. The coupe is attractive, pretty lightweight, has good power, and of course it has AWD. Everything I wanted in a car, plus pretty good gas mileage, too (26-28 mpg). I like the way it drives, the way it handles, the communicative steering, and the comfort of AWD for those not-so-nice winter days.

Well, it IS Reliable!
By Car Owner on 03/08/05 16:25 PM (PST)

1996 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

The windows are stupid. They have no frame and there is just the door's molding. The windows leak and often freeze, also creating moisture IN the car (windshields esp.). The A/C is EXTREMELY cold, heat is EXTREMELY warm. WISH it came with ABS and the AWD is not 50/50, so doesn't perform as great on the ice/snow/slush. The gas mileage isn't as good as I expected, I get about 17-18 (IF I am lucky) in the city. However, this thing hasn't failed me yet, and I hope to keep on driving it til it's dead (and I hope that won't be for a long time!)

I d Do It Again
By ggcarlo4 on 07/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I love my impreza outback. Have had no real problems to speak of. The only thing on its way out is the radio. Great in the snow good mileage has been a super little car

My Impreza Outback
By Danjen98 on 07/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Subaru Impreza Outback 4dr Wagon AWD

I have not had any problems with my 1996 Impreza since I bought it off the show room floor 8 1/2 years ago. In Vriginia with the snow. Having AWD is a real must. I am considering going to a newer Subaru and may put this one on the market. It will be tough. The only real complaint I have is that the tires wear out quicker and the road noise can be loud at times.

Great College Car!
By TheJimmyJ on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this car halfway through college, and i couldn't be happier. AWD is great, beats my parents cars in the winter; it hugs the curves like it was my grandma at thanksgiving; accel. is ok, but it is amazingly peppy- my friends all want to drive it; its safe, with its dual airbags. and common enough that repairs are inexpensive. since i DID buy it used, it did have problems. i think there was a shimmy in the wheel, bad belt,and back strut. its all fixed, and i could still afford my books. Problems: ITS SO SMALL! = major inferiority complex. virtually no back seat room. Though it is techniclly a sedan, i think of it as a 4-door coupe.