1995 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:
Bulletproof
By joppelaar on 04/16/12 12:09 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza LX 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought my 95 LX while living in Vancouver, Canada seven years ago. Six months in, the engine blew. Turned out it was a faulty repair that resulted in the engine chewing itself to bits. The dealer sourced a used one ($2000 CDN, including labor), and gave me 3 months' warranty on the work. 7.5 years later (with 262,000 kms on the clock) it still runs like a top. I took it in to have it smogged last fall and the tester said, "what does this thing run on, air??" Emissions were lower than some new hybrids he'd tested. All the usual good stuff about subarus is represented here - great in snow, pretty strong little motor (the 2.2 at least) and better than your average econobox to drive.

The Car that won't die
By danboy1 on 02/20/12 18:33 PM (PST)

1995 Subaru Impreza LX 2dr Coupe AWD

I bought this car 7 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. Only had 60k miles when I bought it; now has 170k. This car has been all the way across the country and back. Has endured 3 very minor accidents, which are fully repaired, and has lived through a technician's serious error. He had taken the pulley's and gears off the crank shaft to fix an oil leak but didn't put it back together right. The car jumped out of timing, which i couldn't figure out at first, and ran it like that for some time. When the problem got to bad to run the car, we finally figured out the problem. When other American made junk would have been dead, this car still runs like when i got it. Assume!!!

Good little pizza car
By groovydoovy on 10/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

Have loved this car for 6 years. Drove it 5 days a week for 3 years as a pizza delivery car. I like to drive at high RPM and as fast as possible around corners and over speed bumps so needless to say this car has taken a beating. That said only thing it needed to keep it going was gas and oil changes and of course brakes. At this point the struts are pretty wasted, but other than that it continues to cruise along like it did when I bought it 6 years ago. I love that my car can get up and go every time there is a snow storm and everyone else is left stuck on the side of the road. This is a reliable car that takes a beating. Just like I like a car to be.

Balance through the corners
By Rusty_Dutch on 09/16/09 06:37 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza 4dr Sedan

Well. I'm happy to say that the auto in the 1.8 was surprisingly more frisky and rev happy than I originally thought. It's relatively quick upon acceleration as well, considering you're driving a saloon automatic. Performance: well. on 13's, this thing is fun. Diving into corners is great. The perfect amount of body roll, the perfect amount of predictable understeer, the FF oversteer is extremely entertaining on a car with 170k+ miles. This car is fine. It is just a perfect cruiser. Yea, it's not turbo. Yea, its not AWD. Yea, it's not a manual. But you know what - this car has heart. This car will get you from here to there. And you'll be comfortable. And to hear the 13's squeal...

The Car That Could
By banditxkr on 04/10/09 22:39 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza Outback Special Edition 4dr Wagon AWD

This car refuses to die. It now has 17500+ miles on it (mostly from teenagers). This car has plowed through snow that was over the bumper. It's been air-borne on dirt roads many times too. This is the most amazing car I've ever owned. It's like a tank. It can take anything. It gets great mileage too (26-32).

AWD Dreamer
By suby enthusiast on 10/13/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza LX 4dr Sedan AWD

The 1.8L with 5 speed manual transmission is by far the slowest car I have ever driven, but, the car is the funnest car I have ever driven during the winter. This car can feel like you are driving a toy car around if you have driven other manual cars this is a bit jerky driving but the gas mileage is good. Not very much for modification out there if you don't know what to look for but if you know Subarus you know what can be done to this car, very cheap to make fast but needs a engine upgrade almost for sure.

1995 Subaru Imprezza
By Kathy on 05/02/08 17:00 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Wagon AWD

I bought this car new in 1995, it's still my primary and favorite car. You can't beat the handling and it goes like a sherman tank in the snow. Very little maintenance other than routine. This is my second Subaru and I hope it never dies. 126,000 miles of mostly country roads. My only complaint is I was too cheap to buy the larger engine and with the AC on, sometimes I could use more power.

95 impreza l awd 5 spd
By mod on 03/16/08 06:59 AM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza L 2dr Coupe AWD

This is the second Impreza I've owned, and I love them. My last one was an 02 2.5, the only thing about the one I have now is the interior is cheap, and the sterio stinks (85w cassette player and 4 paper cone filters, one was blown) but 4 new Pioneer speakers, a 10" Pioneer sub sonyxplod deck and 600watt amp later it sounds great. Plus the cheap interior makes this car super easy to work on. In New England the AWD is a must, the car grips the road better than my 02 (2600lbs now instead of 3100lbs 02)

Pass on this used vehicle
By ux0042pentique on 11/03/07 13:51 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan

The AWD is the only valuable feature here, and it's not necessary for climates where you only have a winter of 3 to 4 months. Parts are expensive (in the USA), many available only from the dealer. The AWD requires frequent alignment checks, and seems to become misaligned sporadically (sometimes alignment will be in spec, other times it will be way off). Bought at 99K miles, currently at 150K and the frequency, cost of maintenance, as well as the risk of it dying anywhere at any time, is making me consider replacing it. Suspension makes you feel every small bump in road, and the tiniest ones are jarring. Cup holder is in worst possible location covering dashboard controls when in use.

Great car
By yup on 09/16/07 19:37 PM (PDT)

1995 Subaru Impreza L 4dr Sedan

My dad bought the car new in 95, never had to replace anything except for regular tune-up things like brake pads, spark plugs, etc. It has 208,000 miles on it now, still runs like it did years ago. I have redlined this car since I have had it, I have put this car through a lot of rough driving and it has held up better than any car I have ever seen. I highly recommend this car.