1993 Subaru Impreza Consumer Review: Wonderful College and Family C

1993 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Review

Wonderful College and Family Car
By jxp293 on

1993 Subaru Impreza LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my 93 used in 2000 with 19K on the odometer. Now in 2009, it has 136K and the only maintenance done has been brakes/rotors (done myself) and a tuneup @ 90K. I had the piston slap issue (tick-tick noise) and that was fixed for $500. Otherwise, just oil changes every 4k. This car drives well, handles well and hauls a lot of stuff. I've remodeled most of my house and use this car for getting supplies from lowes/etc. I highly recommend this car and Subaru in general. Be aware that Subaru models between '98 and '03 have head gasket issues, but the early to mid 90's cars (1.8/2.2L) are just solid.

I can select the 2nd gear on the auto shifter, press the "man" button and start off in ice/snow with limited wheel spin. (I don't have awd.) I also like that the back seats fold down flat. The front seats and VERY supportive and comfortable. I like that I can reach the oil filter/plug easily.

Underpowered. When the AC compressor is on and I'm at a light, the engine bogs down. Fuel economy is not so great for an underpowered car, but I consistently get 28-32mpg. The "boxer" engine is rock solid, although the 98-03 ones were junk.