Used 1993 Subaru Impreza LS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Subaru Impreza - Consumer Reviews

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in '00 with 19K. Now has 145K and ready to give to my sis. Car has been super. Wagon is versatile for trips to hardware store, etc. AC charge went low but uses R12 so forget it! timing belt and a fuel injector was the only major maint. other than brakes/tires/battery. Very easy to work on this car. I would love to have another one with 19K on the odometer! I will miss it an awful lot. Told sister when she'd done with it I want it back.

Favorite Features

Wagon body style can accommodate items 3ft by 8 ft. I've moved a lot of stuff in there. Furniture, wood, bikes, boxes, etc. Engine is bulletproof and so easy tow work on.

Suggested Improvements

'93 only had drivers air bag. Mine had abs. I wouldn't mind a bit more power. I had 2wd and got ~28mpg.

Wonderful College and Family Car
By jxp293

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my 93 used in 2000 with 19K on the odometer. Now in 2009, it has 136K and the only maintenance done has been brakes/rotors (done myself) and a tuneup @ 90K. I had the piston slap issue (tick-tick noise) and that was fixed for $500. Otherwise, just oil changes every 4k. This car drives well, handles well and hauls a lot of stuff. I've remodeled most of my house and use this car for getting supplies from lowes/etc. I highly recommend this car and Subaru in general. Be aware that Subaru models between '98 and '03 have head gasket issues, but the early to mid 90's cars (1.8/2.2L) are just solid.

Favorite Features

I can select the 2nd gear on the auto shifter, press the "man" button and start off in ice/snow with limited wheel spin. (I don't have awd.) I also like that the back seats fold down flat. The front seats and VERY supportive and comfortable. I like that I can reach the oil filter/plug easily.

Suggested Improvements

Underpowered. When the AC compressor is on and I'm at a light, the engine bogs down. Fuel economy is not so great for an underpowered car, but I consistently get 28-32mpg. The "boxer" engine is rock solid, although the 98-03 ones were junk.