Used 1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Impreza model:

Happy Owner
By Happy Owner

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought this car in '00 with 19K. Now has 145K and ready to give to my sis. Car has been super. Wagon is versatile for trips to hardware store, etc. AC charge went low but uses R12 so forget it! timing belt and a fuel injector was the only major maint. other than brakes/tires/battery. Very easy to work on this car. I would love to have another one with 19K on the odometer! I will miss it an awful lot. Told sister when she'd done with it I want it back.

Wagon body style can accommodate items 3ft by 8 ft. I've moved a lot of stuff in there. Furniture, wood, bikes, boxes, etc. Engine is bulletproof and so easy tow work on.

'93 only had drivers air bag. Mine had abs. I wouldn't mind a bit more power. I had 2wd and got ~28mpg.

Too bad ALL vehicles wern't this good
By john

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I bought the car with 161,000 miles, now 234,000. The motor and auto tranny are excellent with good pick up and snappy shifts. Up to 31 mpg. 25-29 average. Very good for mileage and year. Car is easy to work on. The engineers definitly had regular people in mind when designing. This is my first Subaru and have driven it real hard. I highly recommend this vehicle for build quality, reliability, low maintenance cost, and the amount of options you get.

Power Windows, locks, rear defrost and the tilt wheel has good range.

My little tank
By birdgeek

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon AWD

I have loved this car. I've had it for 12 of its 16 years. The clutch was very rough from the first owner... and I've just kind-of worked around it for 12 years, waiting for it to give it out... never did! I haul kayaks around on the roof, no problem. When I put chains on her in the winter, she's a full-on tractor, gets me to the slopes with zero stress. I wish the fuel economy was better, but that's the trade-off with AWD. She's been riding rough the past couple of years, showing her age. But I still love blasting big trucks off the line when the mood strikes me. She's a total trooper. My little tank.

Solid handling.

Fuel economy!

Wonderful College and Family Car
By jxp293

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon LS 4dr Wagon

I bought my 93 used in 2000 with 19K on the odometer. Now in 2009, it has 136K and the only maintenance done has been brakes/rotors (done myself) and a tuneup @ 90K. I had the piston slap issue (tick-tick noise) and that was fixed for $500. Otherwise, just oil changes every 4k. This car drives well, handles well and hauls a lot of stuff. I've remodeled most of my house and use this car for getting supplies from lowes/etc. I highly recommend this car and Subaru in general. Be aware that Subaru models between '98 and '03 have head gasket issues, but the early to mid 90's cars (1.8/2.2L) are just solid.

I can select the 2nd gear on the auto shifter, press the "man" button and start off in ice/snow with limited wheel spin. (I don't have awd.) I also like that the back seats fold down flat. The front seats and VERY supportive and comfortable. I like that I can reach the oil filter/plug easily.

Underpowered. When the AC compressor is on and I'm at a light, the engine bogs down. Fuel economy is not so great for an underpowered car, but I consistently get 28-32mpg. The "boxer" engine is rock solid, although the 98-03 ones were junk.

Love my Subaru!
By horserider80

1993 Subaru Impreza Wagon L 4dr Wagon

I got my Subaru in 2000, I've had it for 7+ years, it has over 220,000 and so far no major repairs. I've loved this car and it has been extremely reliable.