2014 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Impreza WRX STI

View reviews for a specific Impreza WRX model:

Good car but not great
By hookshot

2014 Subaru Impreza WRX STI STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I got the 2014 hatchback STI in white. Engine: strong mid-range power, but weak top end. Some turbo lag, power comes on around 3k rims and dies off around 5.5k rpm. Redline at 7k. Fuel economy is poor even in intelligent mode which saps the power. I avg 22 mpg and I mainly drive like a grandma. Expect 18 mpg avg if you have heavy foot. Exterior: what can I say it looks aggressive. I swapped the gun metals for gold bbs and it looks good. Custom molded the base impreza mud flaps to fit. Looks great. Interior: the stock Bluetooth sucks. Seats are good not brz good. Nice overall not great. Hatchback folds down, tons of space, although u don't wanna stratch that leather.

Favorite Features

Looks and mid-range power. Awd sticks awesome in dirt and muddy roads. Rear kicks out and fronts pulls me through. Kinda exclusive car, not too many people have them. Get kudos everywhere I go. Alacantra seats are nicely done. Visibility is good. Big brakes give confidence.

Suggested Improvements

Subaru needs to redesign the exterior to reduce wind noise which I find is unacceptably loud at freeway speeds with windows open or closed. Tire noise is acceptable for sports car. Suspension is not too soft, just right, but I say that there is too much body roll. Needs stiffer sway bars. Steering is wayyyy over boosted at highway speeds. Kinda scary over long sweeping turns as the wheel is just too sensitive and moves too much. Fine around parking lots.

Last of it's kind
By bnewton_xp

2014 Subaru Impreza WRX STI STI 4dr Hatchback AWD (2.5L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

After owning a 2007 STI, I consider the 2014 STI a great improvement. Much improved seats and lower road noise over 2007 STI. 2014 STI is a bit more refined than 2007 STI, however the 2007 STI car was a bit more raw and in-your-face. I chose the hatchback over the sedan as it offers the best of both worlds in performance and utility. Plus the hatchback does not appear to draw as much attention as the sedan with the big wing. While I could've waited for the new 2015 STI, but with the next STI/WRX being more road focus I felt like the next car would lose little bit of it's rally heritage and that what makes STI unique.

Favorite Features

By far my favorite feature is the performance and utility. The cars just versatile from trips the Home Depot or cutting it up on a back road this car can do it all and do it fast.

Suggested Improvements

The gas mileage on this car could be better but it's not too far other all-wheel-drive cars with 300+ hp. But we all know you don't buy in STI for the mileage. The nav system could use some improvement and a higher resolution display. We all know the sound system use some improvement and a backup camera. The OEM nav system can support a backup camera but the car not prewired for it.