2016 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Take a deep breath!
By Bill.Tarkulich

2016 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

It would be nice if reviewers stated what kind of driver they are and what expectations they had going into this. For these purposes, I'm a fairly laid back driver. I drive about 5mph over the speed limit, under limit when conditions are poor, and just like to enjoy the ride. I'm short (5'6"). I'm not a road warrior, don't weave in and out and use my directional. In terms of expectations it's how I get from one place to another. No expectations about style or performance. I'm an advocate from a "keep it simple stupid" school. I do expect to be able to drive capably and safely on the highways, about 80% of the time. I need it to be my "go to" car for my passions , hiking and skiing. It must be competent on forest roads, logging roads, unmaintained roads, generally what I call "soft roading". It must be capable of handling deep snow, icy, slushy and cruddy roads in the depths of the winter. It must be capable of hauling all my trail maintenance tools (I volunteer with the US Forest Service). It must be capable of jamming my skis and gear into it. It must be comfortable to drive in the depth of the winter colds. That means heated seats and a good defroster. It must be able to navigate through heavy snow, which means fog lights. It must be able to drive through 8" of mud on dirt roads in the spring. It must have enough driver's visibility to peer over the heights of land on old forest roads. It must be "maximum man, minimum machine". It means being close to nature, with great visibility and terrific sun roof, all year. It means great fuel economy and lower maintenance costs. It means the longevity of 200K miles or 10 years. I came from an Audi Quattro with far too many gadgets and features. Very capable in the winter, with AWD and snow tires. Problem is, something is always breaking and each repair is costly. Problem is too low a ground clearance, too great fuel (and oil) consumption. My first and last Subaru was a 1981 GL with real 4WD, up/low. I've taken the Forester down the forest roads, used the Xmode and been quite pleased with how it handles the steeps. I love being able to put the seat up as high as I can and seeing great distances. This is very helpful not just on dirt roads, but in seeing wildlife and anticipating the terrain ahead. I'm no longer fearful of road construction portrudences. I'm quite fine with CVT. It's worked quite well under all conditions. I can't wait to get it in the snow in three months. It's a car I don't mind getting dirty. I'm an empty nester, usually hauling only myself around with my gear. Sometimes one other person. I would not consider this as a family car. I'd be looking at an Outback or something else. While I love Jeeps, I have no need for a larger engine or towing capacity or lower reliability. Didn't care for the RAV4, CR5 or other competitors for one reason or another. For me, the non negotiables were sun roof, heated seats. I don't understand the whining about the rubber mats is all about. I put dirt-laden picks, axes, saws and other tools in back. I'm always tracking gravel, dirt, mud and snow into the car. They are just fine. If you want a city car with lots of luxury, there are plenty of choices for you. Just go for the LandRover if that's your style. I could care less about passenger seat adjustments or a lighted vanity mirror. What don't Iike? Mostly small things like more storage compartments, a better stereo (I wil change that out some day), more trunk lighting (I can fix that myself) and a full size spare tire.) I'm glad it has the roof racks for hauling things like a canoe. I like the rear spoiler, but it makes putting a bike rack on the back near impossible. I love the ground clearance. I love that it's pretty narrow, which makes city driving and parking a breeze. BTW , I disabled all those beeps and light flashes when the car is locked and unlocked. No need to draw attention to myself. I've noticed that trying to stream music via bluetooth in the car results in poor audio fidelity. Connecting it by wire give much better sound. For the record, I get 34mpg on trips if I keep it at 60mph. At 70mph, the mileage gets down to 28, which is about my city driving average. I've got my snow tires and am ready to rock. Until then, I'll be on forest roads and highways.

2016 Forester 2.5i
By Karl

2016 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

We have had this Forester for 4 months. We have the base model with a 6 speed manual transmission. Decent acceleration. Good mileage. Comfortable and smooth ride. Good visibility and comfort. So far we are averaging 27.3 mpg with mostly city driving. We love this SUV. It is our first Subaru. Used to own a 2011 Hyundai Tucson - and this Forester is a big step up.

The perfect car for all-around competence
By Shiroh 'niichan

2016 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Although this car spends over 90% of the time on well-maintained roads, I got it for its ability to handle dirt roads, so-so trails, and times I need decent ground clearance (like our annual trips to the snow). What brought me to the Subaru Forester from the Nissan XTerra and other vehicles with better off-road competence were its 1) lower price, 2) better fuel economy, 3) better seating comfort, and 4) better handing on regular streets and highways. Outward visibility is excellent. I can drive through traffic without having to lean from side to side to check my blind spots. On highway trips I get around 34 mpg with a full load, and on my daily drive of 80% highway and 20% regular streets by myself I get about 30 mpg. I used at have a 2009 Subaru Outback but did not keep it because my then 11-year old daughter found the rear seat legroom insufficient, but on our recent road trip she and her now 10-year old sister had plenty of leg room in the Forester. Both are about 5'4" tall, and I'm 6'2". Cargo room is decent for the vehicle size. The biggest compromise I had to make to enjoy all these benefits is the slow acceleration. When passing slower vehicles on our recent road trip, the vehicle was less than inspiring (especially when going uphill). The engine revved loudly but the CVT didn't give me much confidence I was going to get enough oomph to pass quickly enough to avoid oncoming traffic. Needless to say, we survived. Subaru gave $250 to the National Parks Foundation when we leased our car, and that was a nice touch (as was the microfiber Subaru pullover shirt they sent us a couple months later).

ok with one major flaw
By jack frost

2016 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I rented this car for a week and it was ok, but it has one major flaw. When I got the car from the rental place it was sunny and then I went driving in a wooded area that had shaded areas and I looked down at the speedometer and I could not tell what speed I was at because the speedometer and tach numbers are made with a muted washed out color, I had to take off my sun glasses and still had a hard time seeing the speedometer numbers. I turned on the lights to try and get some back lighting and it did not help much, and this was on a full sunny day. The speedometer and tach are positioned down into the dash board and the numbers are a weird muted washed out light color which are hard to read, and the small lcd screen between the speedometer and tach looks like something from 1970. I took pictures of this and plan to send them to subaru because it is a safety issue. Overal the car was good, but I could never buy one because I need to be able to see what speed I am at.

Love the Forester
By Andrew Liebowitz

2016 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

We wound up getting the special edition 2017 Subaru Forester XT turbo. We LOVE the vehicle. Its fast, reliable, looks great and my wife is in love with her new truck. I have the 2006 WRX which I love. We are happy to be a Subaru family!!