2015 Subaru Forester 2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic Consumer Review - So close to great but

2015 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

So close to great but ride spoils it.
By edgecomber on

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Just purchased a 2015 Forester Touring 2.5 without NAV or Eyesight. I'm not totally convinced I made the right decision. The car feels solid, accelerates more than adequately for my driving style, love the CVT (always has torque on tap when you want it), fuel economy so far is amazing (going by trip computer), Harmon Kardon stereo is excellent, HID headlights light up the road. So why the doubts? First the ride is hobby horse rocky on poor roads. There was a section of I-5 where I thought the vehicle had a mechanical problem it was rocking so much. Second, the Bluetooth phone implementation is unacceptable in a 2015 car. I hope I get used to the ride but I'm not optimistic.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, CVT smoothness and torque, the million screens that display just about anything (appeals to my inner geek), the HK stereo which has amazing imaging (the orchestra is right beyond the windshield and sounds right in front of you without having to set the balance to the left) and deep, deep bass, tons of room in back plus reclining back seats, hidden storage below the back floor, commanding view out (every other CUV we looked at felt like we were in a cave), light gray interior where others mostly offered black, DRL's with HID headlights that automatically take over as it gets dark, and then there are all the traditional Subi strengths- full time 4WD, built in Japan to last, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the ride! There were complaints about this on the 2014 model, and one review I read said Subaru had addressed it on the 2015, but not so I can tell. And yes, I have lowered the tire pressure from the 39 PSI it was delivered at to the correct 30/32. That made the ride smoother and less jittery, but did nothing to fix the bouncing around on less than ideal pavement. Not really looking forward to long trips, and that was one of the major reasons we decided to get a CUV. Also, my $129 JVC car stereo has better Bluetooth phone implementation than the Forester. The pairing process is way too complicated, it doesn't download or display contacts and it can only pair to one phone at a time.
By purple43
on 12/30/14 02:56 AM (PST)

A relative has a 2014 Forester, which I drove a couple of times. My experience parallels everything this reviewer said about the 2015 model. In addition to the rough ride, I was concerned about long-term engine unreliability stemming from the Subaru's horizontally-opposed (boxer) engine layout, which history shows is highly susceptible to engine head oil leaks, brutally expensive repairs and even catastrophic engine failure (much on this is available via Google). Instead, we chose a 2015 Honda CRV, which we've had for six weeks. It's a good car except for the goofy styling and cave-like interior. Helping greatly are the back-up camera and right-side blind spot camera. They send clear pictures to a big screen in the center of the dashboard. The left-side blind spot is supposedly helped by the wide-angle mirror fused to the left side of the driver's side mirror. However I found this inadequate, so simply stuck on one of those small circular wide-angle mirrors available at auto supply stores. It helps a lot. Nonetheless, overall I feel as if I'm driving a hard-to-see-out-of cocoon. What is it with the amazing lack of visibility built into so many new vehicles? I want a clear, wraparound view through windows. Depending so much on mirrors feels confining and unsafe. We need a buyers' strike until more car makers end this poorly thought-out design trend. Subaru has done it - why can't others? A plea: bring back those panoramic wrap-around windshields of the 1950s!