2015 Subaru Forester Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Subaru Forester - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

A Few Issues, But Overall Content
By cali83

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Almost 9,000 miles. Overall, I am pleased with my Forester. Biggest complaints are the tiny back-up camera display that is almost unviewable in sunlight and the less-than-advertised gas mileage. Other small SUVs appeared better in certain areas, but the Forester looked best overall. Freeze your credit ahead of time if youíre not financing through the dealership. I was presented with a credit application as part of the dealershipís routine stack of paperwork even though I had already made it clear that I did not desire or need Subaru financing. A frozen credit report means one less unnecessary inquiry by a business that doesn't seem to place much value on customer financial privacy.

Favorite Features

1. Eyesight safety features. Iíve yet to trust it completely to stop my car before it hits something ahead of me because the beeping begins about the same time I would apply the brake myself. 2. Self-diming rear-view and side mirrors. 3. Homelink system 4. Nice to see the number of miles remaining on the tank of gas (pretty accurate), as well as gas mileage for trip and tank. 5. Car doors open so as to allow wide space for entering and exiting. Car windows are big and mostly unblocked, enhancing visibility. 6. Rear door (tailgate) opens by remote and closes by a button on that door. Height can be programmed to fit your garage door opening height.

Suggested Improvements

1. Window buttons on driverís side are partially obstructed by the door handle. 2. Storage compartment between the two front seats is located too far back to comfortably access from the driverís seat without turning sideways. 3. The fan speed control knob for the heater/air conditioner has notches, but it just spins in endless circles. 4. The back-up camera screen is too small to be of much use and is practically useless in bright sun or if wearing sunglasses. Huge dissatisfier. 5. Gas mileage has consistently been less than advertised, coming in around 22-23 mpg (combined highway and city).

Buyers Remorse? The jury is still out.....
By f4567

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

3rd Subaru, upgraded(?)from the Legacy. The Forester has me in a quandary. I read reviews did a test drive and thought 'not so bad'. Fully loaded with Eyesight, NAV and the Homelink mirror. 24 hours in the car,drivability is typical Subaru. Like other reviews, the interior is another issue. The steering wheel is a bit too anemic for the Forester. The center console is horrendous and did not notice that with Eyesight you lose the glass storage. This mismatched fit has me feeling out of sorts when driving. Right now not so happy with this and probably be the last Subaru. This will be a long 3 year lease.

Favorite Features

The Eyesight is interesting. When using cruise, I like how you can set the car(1,2,3) length. The visibility quotient - great circle of view. Drivers seat is comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The NAV and voice command function are not so pleasing to use. Did not realize nor advised by the dealer that the Forester does not come equipped with the latest Starlink. Nor is it compatible with Samsung S6. Send out an updated SD card with full compatibility and latest Starlink functionality. Eyesight should come with blindspot and RCTA. Why is there no vent for the backseat area? Miss the PEZ indicator on instrument panel. More robust/appropriate fitting steering wheel. Sunglass storage Similar Outback shift column desk with the mobile phone storage slot.

Happy n Here's Why
By jpbergman

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

All early reviews were great, but later reviews were a little more negative. We traded 2006 BMW X3 and were looking 4 safety and reliability. We are very happy and love how it drives. Feedback to negatives: Burning oil: Itís a CVT, it requires synthetic oil. Duh Red console: While red is the hardest color in the spectrum to read, it is also the easiest on the eyes. It is ďsaferĒ to have red, blue/white= bad. This SUV provides for a very comfortable ride & not as loud as described. Quick Acceleration: Reminds me to slow down & saves gas. I'm slowly becoming a Subaru dude. I don't know what that means, but my friend says I will start eating granola. We love the car!

Favorite Features

Handling, safety, over all features, wife is happy

Suggested Improvements

I do not mind the interior technologies artistic take on mod-spartan-chic, but the Bluetooth upgrade is badly needed.

Sadly Disappointed
By msilva1214

2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I was so excited about a new, super safe, fun to drive forester. My forester is all of those things, except I have had it in the shop 7 times in the year and a half I've owned it. Problems with the Hill Start Assist System, and even worse the Eye Sight. Dealer replaced the camera and computer to fix the eye sight, after too many attempt to repair. But as of tonight the 'Check Hill Start Assist' warning displayed for no reason. So disappointed, car is fun and safe, but I don't feel it is reliable. Worst of all Subaru of America has been sympathetic but has made not real attempt to maintain good customer service or step and and do the right thing and replace the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service

5000 mile update
By mcm0455

2015 Subaru Forester 2.0XT Premium 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Not much has changed in my overall opinion over that past 5000 miles. Still a hoot to drive, lots of pull with the turbo engine. I installed an aftermarket tow hitch to carry my mountain bike, still have plenty of ground clearance. Gas mileage has been fine at around 22mpg, with mostly city driving. Have seen over 30mpg on slower highways(65mph). Will be installing snow tires next winter, had it up in the mountains in some pretty deep snow and slick roads, it made it up no problem with the OEM tires, but I do like the extra grip of snow tires on slick roads.

Favorite Features

The turbo engine with the CVT is a real nice combination. Smooth power without any gear hunting on uphill grades. The visibility is very good in all directions, and the elevated seating position allows to see above or around most cars. I also enjoy the sleeper factor. At first glance, this looks like any other CUV. Until you need the acceleration, which 60 mph comes in the low sixes, which is not bad at all. The merging anxiety is non existent in this car.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little stiffer suspension, I will be installing a 15 STI rear sway bar soon(under $100) to help with the soft rear end. I personally think Subaru nailed it with this turbo.