Used 2014 Subaru Forester SUV Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Subaru Forester SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Forester model:

Great vehicle
By TL

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.0XT Touring 4dr SUV AWD (2.0L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Worth the purchase. Performance solid, family outgrew the car is why we are changing to a different car. Loved this vehicle and value to experience was very high.

An easy love affair.
By Leonard Wofse

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This gets the best reviews. As my Forester is only two weeks old it is hard to rate the snow and rain traction in a dry summer for obvious reasons. And I'm not familiar with all the bells and whistles yet... It feels like a luxury jeep to me. One concern is going up steep hills. Only one time have I had a chance to test this grade up, but it was not as perky as in driving on level ground. But in all fairness I did not put it in a low gear test. So far the title remains true!

Update, a few weeks later; No problem climbing hills in drive. The four stars for Interior; very nice dash but wish they used less hard plastic and metals. Although 2014 is an improvement on a more soft interior, Subaru needs to move more in a soft feel interior. I give it a thanks for trying; and it is not bad by any sense of the imagination.

An easy love affair.
By Leonard Wofse

Love my Forrester
By Kari Sellars

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Premium PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I love this Forrester, but the family is growing and it doesn't work for us anymore. Great ride, safe, secure in bad weather. Totally wonderful car. Excellent gas mileage.

Thirsty for oil 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited
By Jessy M.

2014 Subaru Forester SUV 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I bought the 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited in October of 2013. I'll start with the positives: I'm very impressed with the style (used to look dumpy prior model years), the reasonable gas mileage, the room, the fact that I can easily get in/out of the SUV (I'm short), the leather seating (I have chronic back pain so it helps), the huge moon roof, the lift gate, the safety, AWD handling, the brakes are nice (not super touchy and doesn't pull you forward). The cons so far: the options if it's not standard can be pretty pricey, what comes standard is not always the greatest (Acura per example, would beat out Subaru in that department, specifically the technology dept.), the heat takes awhile to get warm, a lot of trouble starting the car if it's colder than usual (-0), heated seats do not stay heated, sometimes I hear road noise even though windows are all up, not all doors have a light so if you're sitting in the back, it's hard to see where the window button is if you want to roll down the window when it's dark, the driver visor mirror does not have a light (pretty cheap if you ask me!), and most importantly, my car is one of the year/VIN/models affected by oil consumption issues. Recently, my oil light went on, on my way to work. I brought it to the dealership that day since it's under the power train warranty and there is an active lawsuit against Subaru that I was notified about. I was told that my car (2K more miles to the next oil change) lost 1 1/2 quarts of oil (not sure where it went b/c it didn't leak from what I could tell). They changed the oil and replaced a gasket (pretty bad that needed replacement but thankful it was under warranty), and I was told to bring the car back 1200 miles later for another oil consumption test (coming up), do not add oil if the oil light comes up and they will replace the engine if it goes while under the warranty. I haven't had to pay anything out of my own pocket for that yet, knock on wood, but this shouldn't happen to a car that doesn't even have 40K miles on it yet and is Japanese engineered! Subaru really needs to fix this problem! Enough people are affected that they should notice and be proactive!! I'm very disappointed and I don't know if I'll ever get another Subaru! So far, I seem to have better luck with Honda's....