2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Best of the small crossovers I

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Best of the small crossovers I've tried
By misprof on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I am 6'5" and my wife is 5'3" and we wanted something that we could adjust to both be able to drive comfortably. We tried a Forester last year, but the visibility was nowhere near as good and the interior seemed very cheap. The 2014 is a huge improvement.

I don't have to adjust the seat all the way back even with my 35" inseam legs. Visibility is much better due to the larger windows all around and the relatively straight roof line, unlike a lot of the competitors. After about 400 miles I am getting about 29 MPG of mostly highway driving. Overall I like the look and functionality. It isn't flashy, but is the most comfortable and practical of the crossovers out there.

We got the 2.5i Touring model for the X-mode in case of extreme weather and for when we visit our daughter in NH. We really like the dual automatic climate control and although the navigation takes some getting used to and the buttons are a little small, it worked well, especially in helping avoid a few accidents during a snow storm earlier in the week. Although I like the little extra features of the Touring trim level, overall I don't think it's worth the extra money over what you get in the Premium, especially since all the premiums that come in in this area have the "all Weather Package" that includes heated seats, heated side mirrors, and windshield wiper deicer.

Overall there is little that I would improve on the car. The navigation system screen can get washed out if the sun is at the wrong angle. It could use a couple more small compartments or a little more storage up front. There are a few little things that they charge extra for as options that I think should be included, especially in their top of the line trim including and luggage compartment cover, a cargo net or two, and rails for the roof rack. In addition the carpeted floor mats seem pretty flimsy. I will probably replace them with some all weather mats.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review
By donp66
on 01/14/14 18:33 PM (PST)

Thanks for the height information - it seems that many manufacturers don't take into consideration that the husband and wife are not the same height and don't offer the proper adjustments for each to be comfortable. We have had to eliminate numerous vehicles because one of us (my husband) can't get comfortable, therefore we usually end up with a full size SUV which is nice but really isn't needed for my quick trips around town.