2014 Subaru Forester Consumer Review: Incessant Rattling

2014 Subaru Forester - Consumer Review

2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV (2.5L 4-cyl. AWD CVT Automatic)

Incessant Rattling
By cjseals1 on

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited PZEV 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have almost 4000 miles on my Forester Limited and from the day I brought it home the dashboard rattles and vibrates. I thought it was related to cold weather, but as the weather warms up it rattles worse. I have taken it into the dealership three times already and they tinker, pad and tighten with no improvement. I want to love this vehicle but it has eaten up and continues to eat up time and money in that I have to take off work and take it back to the dealer, only to have no improvement. The rattle seems to move but mainly in the vent or inside the odometer or MFD. Seems to be the whole dash. I am very disappointed. High rpms when accelerating, cheap carpet. Touchy gas pedal.

I do a lot of city driving and routinely get 30-35 plus mpg. I love the big windows and doors, I am short and can see out without feeling like being up in the windshield. It is equally comfortable for my tall husband to drive with plenty of headroom. I always owned luxury cars and this is the first SUV and if not for the incessant rattling, I would be very satisfied with the vehicle. It feels very grounded and is fun to drive. I love that I can step in and out without having to climb up or get down. I love the short turning radius. The moonroof is huge my dog loves it. Even though I switched from big V8 and V6 engine luxury cars, this has plenty enough power in the engine.

Make the dashboard stop rattling and vibrating. Put at least one light in the cargo area. Use better carpeting materials. Do something about the high rpms, high revs and noisy acceleration. Adjust the gas pedal or whatever so that the truck doesn't jump or lag when you first push it. Use more padding and insulation for a quieter overall ride. Make the console a little bigger and a bit more appealing.
By kkg10
on 10/11/14 13:02 PM (PDT)

I bought a 2014 Forester with all weather package and nav in Feb'14. It started making noise from day one just from anywhere starting from sun shade, dash, rear seat belts, doors you name it. Adding to it the stiff ride makes that worse. Keeping the radio to high volume helps a bit. I took it to the dealer...guess what, they insulted my intelligence saying my sunglass in the holder is making the noise. I decided to stop discussion right there. I have 9000 miles on it and pretty much tempted to get rid of it but a few other positive things are stopping me. These are great the visibility, fuel economy and the advantage of all wheel drive. But every day driving is annoying to me. I am not sure but may be one day I'll just drive to a dealer exchange the forester with a pre-owned X3.

By dinak2
on 06/30/14 05:52 AM (PDT)

I THOUGHT that my rattling was coming from the dash on my new 2014 Forester, as well, but it's actually coming from the rear view mirror. I'm calling the dealership this week to get it fixed. Online there are many complaints about Subaru rearview mirror rattling problems. Something about the type of screw-set Subaru uses. My question - if Subaru knows that it's screw-set is faulty, why hasn't it engineered a different, reliable type of set? Ask someone riding in your front passenger seat to put his/her ear right up to the rear view mirror while you are driving to confirm. I was certain, as the driver, that it was a dash problem until my husband sitting in the passenger seat figured it out last night.